Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3dconnexion releases SpaceNavigator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Spaceball 5000 USB and I only have 3 buttons programmed on it, so I probably wouldn't miss all of the extra buttons. I have tried the Space Traveler, but I found the buttons too awkward to use. I prefer the the big ball on the Spaceball, but for $59 I could get my own 3D mouse.

I could not find the difference between the $99 SE and the $59 PE version of the SpaceNavigator. On a side note, maybe 3DConexxion decided they needed an entry-level 3D mouse to beat the price of the Astroid.

SW07 SP1.0

Flores

The $99 version has 2 programmable buttons but is otherwise the same, near as I can tell.

Any speculation as to what the SpaceNavigator upgrade is? The web store says it provides a license for full commercial use. Does this mean that the SpaceNavigator products are just for student / personal use?

Whoops, scratch the first part of that last post.......

Now I don't know what the upgrade is, nor can I discern what the difference is between the products.

I think if you plan on using this at work, or having your company buy it you are supposed to buy the $99 one.

SW/PDM 06 4.0

Yeah, that's what it is:
Suggested Retail Price

SpaceNavigator SE $99
(commercial use license & full support)
SpaceNavigator PE $59
(non-commercial use license & online support only)

So it's the exact same product, but the license is different. But if it's being billed as an entry level device, then why charge the extra $30?
SpaceNavigator, an entry-level 3D navigation device ideal for professionals, students and enthusiasts, ...

Oh well, it's still the cheapest 3D mouse alternative. I have seen the Spaceball 5000 cheap on Ebay, but at the last moment it always balloons above $100.

SW07 SP1.0

Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back