Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3DXML with R17 ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

prolynx

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2005
DK
Hello,

we have recently changed from R15 sp5 to R17 sp5, and now we have problems with the 3DXML. Surely, we had to install also the latest 3DXML viewer (which of course requires some update of Microsoft XML) because the 3DXML files saved from R17 can't be opened in the "old", but now, some files saved from R17 fail to open in the new version (same files worked properly in R15 and the old viewer). Error message (very explicit as usual) is:
Error while loading : xxxx.3dxml
Please rebuilt if without subdirectory information
the archive as been built with subdirectory information.

The files causing problems seems to be when there are sheetmetal parts inside the assembly, but not always.

Also, I made a test on a small assembly ( 1 sheetmetal part and one screw), and at first it failed to open the 3Dxml. So I removed the material information from the sheetmetal part (we usually apply some material to the parts) and then the 3Dxml part opened properly in the viewer. After that, I "undid" the removal of the material on the part (so it's back in the part) save as 3dxml again, and surprise surprise, the file opened properly...

Also, we have seen that if some assembly fail to open in the 3dxml viewer, we create a new assembly in Catia and "copy / paste" all components in the new assembly, after that, the file will open correctly.

Anyone out there got any idea ? Or is this free stuff just completely instable nowadays ? (why did they have to change something that was working properly before....)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried the CATDUA before saving the parts/assemblies as 3Dxml? Does that have an impact?, just thinking if the problem is that the parts/assemblies are of older catia version, R15 and haven't been upgraded to R17 yet.

No impact with CATDUA (but I'm not sure this is working properly). Also, I used save management to save all in a new directory (I guess that then all parts are R17, correct ?) and still no luck. Also working in cache: thank you and come again !
The only way we have found to work is to create a new product and to copy/paste all components inside the new product.

After the CATDUA are you opening files from C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Temp
Did you have CATDUA replace the files?

What are your settings for 3DXML output? (Tools-Options- compatibility - 3DXML

Regards,
Derek

Are all your file name good? ie no dodgy characters
The 3DXML viewer does appear to be sensitive to strange but valid in file name characters. This also applies to all the child documents. Change the 3DXML file extension to zip and have a look inside for further 3Dxml files with odd names. These will unfortunatly have to be corrected in the original CATIA unless you like manually editing XML files.

Oh yes, Peter, you're the man ! Star for you !

There was no problem with the names of the Catia parts, but in the zip (that's the trick of the day), I could find something weird: a file named xxxx_rendering.3DRep with a path.

I deleted this file, renamed the zip to 3Dxml, and then it opens !

After checking, I noticed in Catia that the user (fortunatly not me) had applied material on the part "xxxx" in the assembly level (again, as the material was already applied in the "part" itself)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back