Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4 points seat belts forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markeng512

Feb 22, 2017
DE
Hi all,
in the project I am working on, I have analyze a sort of crew rest area. In one configuration of this monument, the crew will be sit and secured with 4 points seat belts.

My question is:

Is there the possibility to get the loads on the attachment points in all 6 loadcases (FWD,AFT,LH,RH,UP,DOWN) without running a transient analysis with dummy bodied like in LS-DYNA?

I hope you can help me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a long and detailed history of seat, seatbelt, and attachment designs. Assuming you are in FAA jurisdiction, you have many Advisory Circulars to guide your work.
I take it you are not dealing with an existing "dynamic seat" (TSO C-127) otherwise you wouldn't be talking about attaching restraints to a separate monument.
Would this be a "flight attendant" seat, or something similar, in which case the same requirements may apply?

Look up GAMA-13 and the TSO C-127 for starters. The referenced data in those will keep you going for a long time.

There is a specific AC address issues relating to issues with Flight attendants 4 point harness.

Plus AC21-34 page 31 gives the shoulder harness mass / total mass split is 40%.

MarkEng512

A few basic questions/points for clarity.

Are the seat belts to be attached: (a) 100% to seat; (b) 100% to aircraft structure [IE: floor, wall and/or ceiling]; (c) 50-50% seat and acft structure???

Is the seat geometry/position fixed in-space [one-size-for-all?]... or adjustable to various degrees [adjusts to individual occupant?]. Adjustable seats add complexity to the design.

Is the seat intended for occupancy during take-off-and-landing... or only for use in-flight during specified periods? Crashworthy seating is far more complex than non-crashworthy [crew-rest-only] seating [design/analysis/testing].

May find following documents useful...

SAE AS8043 Restraint Systems for Civil Aircraft

SAE ARP4101/1 Seats and Restraint Systems for the Flight Deck

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back