Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

40" Shoulder to shoulder gage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjbro77

Industrial
Mar 12, 2015
US
I am needing to hold a dimension 39.850" +/-.001". It is on a 4.375" O.D. Rod. Each end gets turned down to 4" O.D. So I have only .1875" shoulders. I need to hold the distance between shoulders to 39.850 +/-.001. The overall length is 64.225" I need to find a way to measure this in the machine.
Thanks,
Kenneth

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A custom gage with a fixed measuring anvil on one end and a micrometer head or indicator on the other end. You will need a standard to calibrate the gage. Meeting the 10 times accuracy requirement for a gage will be your greatest problem if you need to meet your in-house quality guidelines. I question the +/-.001 dimensional tolerance. Could you machine and then shim to the correct length?

Bill

The problem with a micrometer head is the .1875 between the 2 o.d. diameters. Using shims is not an option as this is a part we are machining for a customer.

Ask your customer how they check the part and borrow their gage. Master Vernier Caliper another choice but this will cost about $3000. Probably a lot more money than the part is worth. Be sure the temperature is correct as temperature variation will cause problems for this length.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back