Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4000 FLX Spaceball on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianM4x4

Mechanical
Mar 22, 2001
CA
The company bought me a dell laptop and I am trying to get my 4000 flx spaceball working on it. The spaceball has a serial connector, the laptop hasn't-----. I bought a usb to serial adapter, but it doesn't want to work---I hear the spaceball beep when windows starts, but it doesn't work in any applications

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3Dconnexion doesn't support the use of a usb to serial connector. Read their web site. You will need to get a 5000usb Spaceball.

The 5000 can also be used for MS Office applications.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I read that they didn't support it, I was just wondering if anyone else got it to work via other means---do they make a card to slip into the side that has a serial connector on it?? or a serial to ps2 connector---just a thought

You can get it to work with a pcmia serial card. At least we managed to get it going. Removing the card during operation is not very smart, windows will again and again start to install drivers.

Brian

It depends on how much you love using your current spaceball? I think it's best to try to get a trade in with 3Dconn or other sellers for a 4000 FLX USB which I believe they have. The USB spaceballs have a quicker response time and even work with MS Word and other programes.

Michael
[spineyes]

There is no such animal as a 4000USB Spaceball.
You will have to go with the 5000USB Spaceball.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I used my Magellan Plus with a serial adapter, on my Compaq laptop, and it worked fine. I used the one from "Larry's Serial to USB adapter" ( It usually worked fine. I generally had better luck if I plugged it in before startup, and I also started the 3D Connexion driver manually, instead of starting with Windows, so when I did not have the spaceball attached, it did not lock up my system looking for a device that wasn't attached. If you start UG with a bat file, you can actually start the driver when you start UG...
On the otehr hand, why waste all this effort trying to get a Spaceball 4000 to work. Once you try a 5000 or a Magellan, you will understand... I would suggest that you spring for a trade in.

-Derek
DL Engineering Services

specializing in CAD Design Consultation Services

Hi BrianM4x4,

I had the same question as you and went looking all over the net for a solution and what I found was this this.

Just to clarify after I bought what I needed, I run my HP4000FLX serial spaceball on my IBM Thinkpad G40 quite OK. Currently using it with Pro/E to see how it works, it works just fine.

There is software you can buy, which appears very expensive, and allows you to connect your serial device via the laptop's usb ports using a standard serial-usb adaptor. However I suspect that this sort of software is ment for more than just simple connections like this.

The cheapest and most simple solution was to buy a serial-usb adaptor (mine came from the UK, I am sure you can get it anywhere) that come with the necessary driver. One point is that the serial-usb cable and software specifically came form a laptop shop for this purpose.

Here is the link to give you an idea of what I bought, I hope this is of help at least to let you know what is out there before you go spending heaps of money.

Best Regards

Dave

I tried a usb to serial adapter and it didn't work, 3d conexion does not support it.
I just purchased a PCMCIA rs232 serial adapter, I haven't received it yet, I will let you know if it worked or not

Thanks

BrianM4x4,

Originally I puchased an ordinary serial-usb adaptor which did not work either then I found the one mentioned previously on the net.

It was only then that I realise that it needs the extra software and possibly the special adaptor to make it work.

I will be interested to find out how you go and interested to know how much it is going to cost you?

Best Regards

Dave

I have been trying to get it the spaceball to work with the pcmcia serial ports and I have been getting farther than before. Th spaceware software recognizes the hardware now but the installation halts with a error #3. I think because the high speed com ports that I added are set to their default settings...Does anyone know what the setting should be for the spaceball to work
baud rate,data bits,stop bits, handshaking on or off, fifo on or off...
Thanks

I am getting closer

Brian

I had the same problem with a 4000FLX on a Compaq N800C, I bought a Docking Station as it has a Serial port and gave me more USB ports.
Port Replicators do the same thing, only without the extra USB.
They are not as expensive as you may think and a dam site more straightforward than wondering if your Serial->USB Adaptor will work (and will take up another USB Port)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back