Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5 axis machining / strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarek30

Industrial
Jul 8, 2009
PL
Hi Guys,

I'm in need and I need a help. I got the component, but since I'm quite new in 5 axis machining I would like to ask if someone can give me a tip what would be the best strategy to maching the internal shape (picture attached). I'm planning to make this part on Matsuura MX-850, full option. But I'm not as much familiar with NX and 5 and variable axis strategies and how they can be used.
Someone can help? I have posted the component as well.

NX 9.0.3 mp6

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5bb6add3-801b-45dc-ad5a-99f8a93dbc18&file=Untitled.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you know the tool type and strategy you want to use, we can probably suggest the operation type.
Overall, you will probably use Variable Axis Surface Contouring, which has several templates available when you create an operation and set the type to mull_multi-axis.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

Hello Mark,

This is an aluminum part and I'm planing to perform cavity mill as a start with 20mm carbide mill, semifinishing operation with 12mm ball mill and finish operation with 6mm ball mill.
And it would be an advantage to use 5 axis strategies on semi-finish and finish operation.

Would it hlep?

I'm still not sure what the part looks like.
If you don't want to use variable axis surface contouring, another option that we see in ports is to create a fixed axis operation without collision checking, and then use Tilt Tool Axis to lean the tool away from the wall.
I'm sure there are many ways to approach this.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back