Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

5" inconel piping connectors rated for 240 bar, 650 C 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlr8shun

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2021
US
I'm looking for piping connectors (flange or clamp style) rated for operation at 240 bar and 650C, ideally in inconel 625. I've come across some solutions from Fruedenberg (Techlok and SPO flanges) that seem like they should work however the listed temperature ratings top out at 400 C or so. I've also seen that ASME b16.5 flange group 3.8 materials top out at 120 Bar at 650 C.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You’re in the specialty range. No standard rated connection will help you here, like B16.5.

Bolt load calculations will likely govern your design.

Given the temperature I assume you require 625 Grade 1. That’s doable but it’s a challenge. Grade 2 is stocked more often. But I think grade 1 can be made from grade 2 by heat treatment.

Linesize seems possible but is tricky as well. I’ve seen a customer design an ASME VIII-1 app 2 flange for similar material, size, temperature and pressure range. But required/calculated bolt loads are so tremendously you’d need a spec break and see if it’s possible to move the bolted joint to a lower temperature. The example I’ve seen (not only on paper but also in practice) had FEA calcs for thermal transient conditions on the bolt temp., to justify the lower bolting temperature for the bolt load calculation.

So Appendix 2 flanges are probably too challenging here. Your best bet would then be a grayloc type joint. They have a different bolting principle. Actually, grayloc UK has helped me very good once on a query we’re I have a smaller linesize (~50 mm ID) but higher temperature. Around 1000 deg C. They were able to provide a technical solution/quote.

You’re really into the realm of high tech. Good luck and let us know what you’ve came up with.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

I've taken quite some into posting this reply, and the info contained therein, represents quite some 'tuition fee' (not sure if that's a good translation) for all the years Ive been working in this field, and learned just a few things. Not saying my work is very good or anything, but a consultant could easily charge you some bucks for this advice. You've been given it for free, yet don't seem to care to provide some feedback.
If I could, Id edit and temporarily remove my post until further notice, but that's not possible anymore.

please be aware this site is full of good willing engineers, providing decent advice - for free. Dont leave it unnoticed, as it may backfire.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back