Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

600 Volt Conductor Splices 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbendillo

Electrical
Jan 24, 2003
US
I am designing a job on which I specify a wireway and in the wireway splices for #3/0 600 volt rated conductors. It is a renovation where I show existing panel feeds being "intercepted" and refed from a new panelboard. I got to looking for some new splicing methods and really haven't found anything that strikes me. Are splitbolts and tape or compression lugs and tape still the method of choice? I was looking for something that could be done quickly, safely and provide an inheritly qaulity job. You know, practically idiot proof. Maybe like some new lug and heat shrink type thing. Does anybody have an suggestions? This is a weatherproof wireway on an outside wall of a commercial building.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"practically idiot proof"

No. The advances in idiots keep them just slightly ahead of any technological advances toward "idiot-proofing".

old field guy

Click on the "Process TGML" link below the message box for a list of special instructions, including quotations.

Alan
“The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is.” Unk.

There are some fairly heavy, adhesive lined shrink sleeves that I have found more durable than tape. They go well with butt splices.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Bill--

Yes, but you have to remember to slide the sleeve onto the wire BEFORE you crimp the ends of the cable together. Otherwise one might be subject to much mirth form some and disappointed clucking noises from others...

old field guy

As referenced by waross, in this day and age there is no valid reason not to use hydraulic-compressed slices with heatshrink covers. Both have been around for decades with well-proven reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back