Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

600V to 44KV grid tying options

Status
Not open for further replies.

huseinnajmi

Electrical
Apr 21, 2011
PK
I have a grid tied solar inverter which gives me 3-phase synchronized 600V ... the grid i am connecting to is 44kv. The inverter will be supplying 3MW of power. My questions are:

1) What are the possible options for this conversion.
2) Typically i know transformers are used for this. What configuration is normally used wye-delta? Can a single transformer be used? What other aspects need to be considered for such a transformer?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@mavd02 - I dont understand .... I am generating power - feeding it into the grid ... the grid would be the national grid feeding cities ... so you can guess the loads .... dont understand why that is important?

@davidbeach - the utility requires the system to be upto the set standards .... the implementation doesnt matter ... and currently it is too early / not possible to talk to the utility ...

More info:
We have 6 each of 500kVA inverters. Not sure how best to connect to the 44kV grid power line. Eg. Go with 6 step up transformers and then one final transformer. Or just go with 1 large transformer, or go with something in between.

Probably lots of ways. What are the applicable standards? Never too early to talk to the utility. Lots of that type of engineering is driven by economics.

Talk to the LDC. each LDC has its own rule of the transformer configuration.

I would suggest multiple transformer close to the solar array, as single 3MW transformer that sitting in the middle of the field will cause huge AC loss at 600V level to travel to the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back