Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

67 cubic yards per acre sediment storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesyj

Civil/Environmental
Aug 18, 2006
US
I'm trying to reference the regulation number in an E&S review which states a sediment volume of 67 cubic yards per disturbed acre needs to be retained. I want to be able to back up the 67 cubic yards with a regulation number in my report. Anyone know how to find this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Francesca is probably correct (I don't work in TN), but you'll need your state's regulations.

Your number sounds high for PA, USA. 67 cy equals 1809 cf, as we measure sed. volume in PA. Per Page 64 of the PA Manual at this link, you'll need 700 cf/ tributary ac if your treating less than 5.0 acres. Per page 42 of the same Manual, you'll need 1,000 cf/disturbed ac if you are treating more area.

PA, USA E&S Manual:

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

67 CY/Acre - Sounds like you work in Virginia (or Maryland). If this is the case, just reference the appropriate section for Sediment Traps or Sediment Basins in the state DEP E&S Control Manual. Also, they may have some standardized design worksheets that should be followed and make review easier.

I'm in Georgia. I found where Georgia law states to use the "Manual for Erosion and Sediment Control in Georgia." I stated this in my report and attached a copy of the Erosion and Sediment Control Plan Review Checklist.

Like a lot of things my government does, the 67 cy per acre is an arbitrary number (2"/ac) that was derived because no viable determination of of silt run-off culd be calculated.

I love my government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back