Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

80,000 Pound Dragster 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwbarlow

Civil/Environmental
Jun 2, 2015
US
One day I was thinking about muscle cars and tractor pulls. What would you need to take a semi-tractor and turn it into a dragster? Obviously you would need a heck of a powerful engine of some kind to start with. Massaging the problem a little bit, I asked myself, "What would happen if you take an extended wheel base semi-tractor, mount a 50,000 pound flywheel cylinder and spin it up to 10,000 RPM and then pop the clutch to the drive wheels. What would happen if all that stored up energy were suddenly released?

It seemed reasonable that with enough gears, a stock semi-engine could be used to gradually bring the cylinder up to almost any speed desired. That it might be able to put a 1,000,000 potential HP into the cylinder. 1,000,000 HP / 80,000 pounds of vehicle weight would give you 125 HP to drive 1 pound of weight. I don't deal with these sort of classical physics computations on a regular basis, nor do I know that much about materials and mechanics. Would the whole thing just explode with basketball sized shrapnel flying all over the place, or could the semi-dragster be designed to handle it and shoot down down the drag strip? I don't know about you, but I'd pay good money to see a semi go from 0-200+ MPH within a quarter mile.

While this is an interesting problem, there are some serious applications I can see that could benefit from a sudden burst of energy, harnessed to do a brute-force type of event. The thing is, if you couldn't build an 80,000 lb dragster as a starting point, then these other applications probably wouldn't be feasible, either.

What do you think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your advantage of using a heavy dragstar is that "small" increases in weight are less restrictive, but they still add up. A 75 lb load added to a 150 lb sprinter is significant. 4x 150 lb loads added to a 15,000 lb truck is near-trivial - but can help if it is the right load.

Electric drive motors on each of the rear axles, on each side of the axle driving the wheel will add substantial instantaneous acceleration at low weight - IF you can get the capacitor weight low enough to produce the 10 seconds of power you will need for each start.

I say capacitor rather than battery or flywheel because the flywheel itself must be accelerated forward as well as slowed down as the energy is drained from it - and the flywheel will torque the truck sideways as it is jerked forward. (right-hand rule applies to acceleration in all three axis : the energy is being pulled out via the axle-and-generator being rotated, the axle-generator-and flywheel are being accelerated forward, and the truck will be jerked "upwards" in the classic wheelie lift of the front wheels.)

Battery isn't needed: Too short a electric need, and the chemical reaction just isn't fast enough. Capacitor-style energy discharge is fast and predictable. 4x Electric motors will give you a "quiet" drive - But is that a crowd pleaser and a attraction; or a crowd chaser?

Has anybody seen a flywheel desintegrate? I have seen a small one used on a steam engine disintegrate and the damages to that engine room was spectacular as well as flinging the steam operator oiler about about 10' again the wall . I hate to see an 80,000 lbs flywheel disintegrate at 10,000 rpm as the driver can kiss his@#%$%^ goodbye, total wreckage of the drag race truck and perhaps casualties in the spectator stand..

tbuelna's results bear some consideration. That analysis uses 1g as the maximum acceleration, but to achieve 6 s 1/4 mile time requires 2.28g acceleration. This will require chewing up way more energy than would be required for a <1-g acceleration

The ending KE is 326 MJ, which, for a gasoline car would mean that about 7 kg of gas -->2.25 gal. So this would work out to a mileage of about 0.11 mpg

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

"With friction coefficient = 1.0 "It gave a 9.9sec 1/4 mile time at 179mph."..."

That was a tire traction coefficient = 1.0. The reason drag cars were able to achieve acceleration rates far beyond 1g was primarily due to help from aerodynamic downforce. A modern top fuel car probably produces over 15,000lbf of aero downforce at top speed, or around 6.5x the car's race weight.

If it matters, I re-ran the 80,000lb 32,000hp drag truck performance in HP Wizard using tire and aero lift/drag characteristics typical of a top fuel dragster and got the result shown below. You'll note that HP Wizard lists a default traction coefficient value of 4.0 for a drag race slick. But in reality I doubt this tire would be suitable for use with the 80,000lb truck described, as the typical top fuel dragster only weighs 2250lbs.

80klb_32khp_drag_truck_vigoo0.png

Right. That why I said above you should consider 8x racing "slicks" on the back of a truck - with all 8 being driven by 4x DC motors on the four axles. Let the front wheels go up - the back tires stay on their own platform with all wheel getting traction. DC motor will give instantaneous acceleration greater than that of a combustion engine, and the power comes not from a battery but a capacitor bank for quick (6 second) discharge.

Just ain't no noise.

If it were built I would want to see AWESOME. Whistles on the flywheels that shriek at top RPM, un-muffled exhaust with bell shaped heads magnifying the sounds of the diesel, black smoke shooting in the air. And a young women in a bright pink fire suit stepping into the cab.

When I walked beside it while it was on display I'd want to feel SMALL beside that potential power. The tires fully 5 ft in diameter, 3 ft wide. At rest, the engine would purr, but having watched it in action once I would know this baby is a saber-toothed Tiger from legends.

Instead of flames, maybe a few huge static electricity burts centered on the vehicle, prior to the green light. When the parachutes are deployed at the end of a run, the sound of a huge cannon signaling the return to reality.

I'm sorry guys and gals, "IRstuff" got my mind's eye going and for a moment and I imagined it was real.

Google Sprint ABM.

It doesn't weigh quite 80k, but it does pull nearly 100Gs off the starting blocks and goes from there. I'm not impressed with any vehicle not heated to incandescence by high air speeds.

Wow, what a tough crowd! Haven't you guys ever stood right at the finish line of a drag strip when a top fuel car passed by at over 300mph? The heat, vibration and noise from the engine exhaust is like nothing you have ever experienced. Of course the max acceleration rate of a TF dragster is probably not more than around 6g, as opposed to a modern fighter jet or the Sprint missile.

There's a crazy old science fiction story about a guy that fitted a really "big spring" into a school bus in order to outrun a sports car.

--

The most famous drag racing jet truck is called Shockwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back