Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A-B Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

afterhrs

Electrical
Mar 18, 2003
US
I would like to the best combination for networking the following plcs:
(2) PLC-5
(7) SLC-5/04
(1) MICROLOGIX 1500

Let me also say I am only looking to retieve data, not program remotely. I am looking for the following information from the machines
1) parts counts
2) faults
3) number of fault per shift
4) up/down time percentage

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Afterhrs

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How often you want to send this information. Ask whoever is needing this data how often they want this information. How much more data would you like to send in the future? If you don't plan on sending process critical information over the network, then I would chose ethernet, since it is used especially for non-critical messaging between processors. You maybe able to get away with DH+ for the SLC and PLC5. You should call up an apps engineer from Kirby Risk or AB. This maybe a cheaper option if you don't need to send the data that often.

With the mircrolix 1500 processor, you are pretty much limited to ethernet.

This link will give you some good info:

I pretty much agree with Marshg. I would like to know more about the information that you are transmitting, how much data it is and if any is time critical, ie: used for control. If you want, you can call me at 615-778-6603

Mark Goldstein

Hello;
You have to look at the available networks for each of the processors:
PLC-5 DH+ and DF1
SLC5/04 DH+ and DF1
Micrologix 1500 DF1

DF1 is AB's RS232 serial communications protocol. This is point to point. There are adapters to convert to AB's DH485 network.
DH+ is a relatively high speed peer to peer network. You will need a special interface in your SCADA computer for this network. I would say that for any reasonable size system (<1000 points) you would have no problems using DH+. I believe that there is a DH+ module available for the MicroLogix 1500.

I would definitely say ethernet. In my previous position I was in the process of setting up a network to gather almost the same information you are looking for. We had PLC5, SLC 5/03, Micrologix 1500, and SLC 5/05. I toyed around for awhile with DH-485, but realized it just wouldn't work in the long run. DH-485 and DH+ are not the networks that AB want to work with. Ethernet is much quicker and easy to expand and the components are relatively cheap, unless you decide to change processors. Unfortunately we never got the entire network up, since the company decided to move to China. You will need to use some external software to get the data to a format you can use it, such as RSLinx.

I agree with timmer656. Ethernet is the way to go for any new network installation. It's fast, reliable and fairly cheap. Also...DH+ has been obsoleted by AB. They are still going to support it due to the enormous install base, but there will be no new products produced with DH+. DH-485 is Ok for small networks, but it is slow. Again...Ethernet is the way.

I would like to thank you all for your input. For a time , it looked like we were going to undertake something internally.
Now it looks like we are going to hire a contractor,
but it is always nice to know wich means of comms A-B
prefers to use.
We also have some information on RS Bizware and RS View.
Some people already like Bizware because it seems to be a lot closer to plug and play.

Thanks Again,
Afterhrs

Generally I agree with everybodys advice to go via ethernet. But there are two things more to consider:

1. Often the serial port on the PLC5s and the SLC5/04s (where you would put a 1761-NET-ENI to get an ethernet connection) is allready used up by some other application (HMI screens typically).

2. You dont have to put everything on the same network. RSLinx and other drivers can be set up to use several communication channels at the same time.
You allready have DH+ for free on the PLC5s and SLC5/04s.
Consider using a DH+ network for your PLC5s and SLC5/04s, and an Ethernet network for the ML1500 and possibly new additions to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back