Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A monopole with foundation above gr 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.F

Structural
Nov 23, 2020
SA
A monopole with foundation above groun. foundation tilted on one edge.
A geotecnical consultant recommended dismantling tower ,doing necessary soil reinforcement then erecting the tower again.
Is there another method to reinforce soil and removing the signifucant foundation tilt
Without tower dismantling

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of tower, lattice steel, steel pipe, size and weight? Just to see if it can be lifted off the foundation without completely take it apart. Can it be dismantled into manageable segments?

R13
The footing precast aroun 6*6
The challenge is to resolve the problems of weak backfill and tilting while the site is on air

Okay, two segments is much better than one, as 18t is pushing the envelope of crane lifting capacity. Here is a typical spec for the tower crane FYI. Good luck.

image_s3lo2v.png

It depends the type of onsite soil and other factors, which I have no clue. You should ask your geotechnical consultant for the feasibility then.

May I ask more questions to be more clear on your situation, so even if I couldn't help, someone else may chime in.

What is the retrofit procedure your geotechnical consultant has proposed, will it involves demolishing the foundation (pile cap)? And you told me "Footing is precast around 6*6", does it mean you have a total of 36 precast piles in a square layout? If so, the plie spacing will be at least equal to 5m c/c (for 25m Ø monopole), is that correct? What is the minimum pile spacing your code/standard allows, can adding more piles be an option, which might solve the problem without the headache of soil reinforcing? Sorry for the series of questions, just curios and speaking loud.

IMO, shoring and jacking to vertical the monopole and the PC ftg and jetgrouting should work..

Another option, drive 4 piles and pour new ftg with increased dim's. similar to the following sketch..

underpinning_ghheeq.png

Hturkak
Can injection under pressure do the dual job of soil reinfircement and removing the tilt
Soil is silty san first 2m no spt fir it mentioned in report

Just thinking loud for jacking or pressurused grouting may be doing some pad checking capacity is necessary,actually first time I encounter such an issue

Nope !!..

You can not control and fix the plumbness. Just write helical pile and search to see the concept. You are expected to lift the tilted ftg with jacking against the helical piles or similar arrangement then apply jet grouting..

The set should be similar to the picture below ; (a snap from the book Helical Piles A Practical Guide to Design and
Installation by Howard A. Perko, Ph.D., P.E. )

helical_pile_underpinning_osqkdf.png

Hturkak
Thanks. So as I understood: 3 elements
Jacking
Groutibg
Shoring.
For shoring
how to shore the monopole given
site only 7*7 and
on 3 sides private buildings
On fourth site there is public road

If you decided to use helical piles you will need 2 steps.. installing helical piles and jacking the footing to level and jet grouting. The shoring of ftg and monopole is necessary if you decide only jet grouting.. If you post some pictures , you may get better responds ..

A.F said:
r13
Please note the precast foundatio has lifting hooks to remove and reinstall again

So glad to hear that. A clever foresight. HTURKAK has provided excellent retrofit plan, if there is adequate space for operation. With buildings so close to the site, IMO, you should consider adding auger-cast piles instead only relying on concrete pad foundation. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back