Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Question About Graduate Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgwreck243

Civil/Environmental
Oct 23, 2013
US
I am currently considering getting a masters degree & working at the same time. My company will help to cover some of the costs of graduate school. Like most companies mine will cover the full cost of any required training (40-hour HAZWOPER, first aid ...) or certifications that help the company attain work (USACE CQM).

My question for the more senior engineers out there; would you consider a Graduate Certificate a certification that the company would be willing to pay for?

I know that for most certifications the employer can tie it to a specific project or field of work. But would consider paying the full tuition costs for an employee's Graduate Certificate?

My company is mainly an environmental remediation & construction company, but they are looking to expand their services with more highway work and currently have to sub out a lot of the geotech work. So I'm looking at getting a master's degree in a geotech specialty to try to keep more of this work in-house & myself busy. And hopefully down the line be "The" company geotech engineer.

Thanks.

--morgwreck243

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the online program I was looking at I was considering either a Grad. Certificate in Geoenvironmental Engineering or Geotechnics.

Following my completion of the graduate certificate I would then complete my masters degree.

My company's education reimbursement is usually tied to attaining a full degree; intermediate "certificates" are generally irrelevant, since they have no ABET standing.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

My company has an open policy about any education or class. If you can justify the need, they will generally agree to pay for it. Perhaps you should talk to your HR department and see what they feel about this certificate and see if they would consider covering the cost.

Definition of irony: A Ford Focus driver with ADD...

We're allowed up to a certain value for training or short courses per year. They still need approval, but it is not an overly taxing process. I wish the value was higher, I find it usually only covers one week of training per year. But it is not the worse plan I have heard of either.

Anything beyond a short course they evaluate on a person by person basis.

sboyz25
I'm going to be talking to my boss & HR about this. I was just curious if anyone else had gotten full funding for a graduate certificate.

Everyone else,
Thanks for the input.

--morgwreck243

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back