Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A section of the Keystone Pipeline is leaking... 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayrod, thank you! It's 14,000 bbls. (I corrected above.) Fail!
Apparently there was an alarm, so it wasn't switched off during pigging. Perhaps the pigging op interfered with the pressure readings.
Anyway, somebody is going to have some Xplaining to do.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

14,000 barrels sounds a lot less than 588,000 gallons...[pipe]

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Or 2.23x10^12 mm^3
Or 2.63x10^-45 LY^3

Also very useful units :)

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

You shouldn't drink pool water... you don't know what's gone into it...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Only if you can define the speed of light. which by the way changes as it travels through different mediums.
Given we know the speed of light in free space, but do we know the speed in a gas? Which gas?

Let me guess, you disagree with the definition of a light year (being a distance at which light travels in one year) that is accepted by all astronomists, therefore you're also likely a flat earther?

Naturally there's a whole bunch of variables, but that's neither here nor there. When you look up a light year in any dictionary, it is a distance.

Well this has gone way off track into the Solar system!

My biggest issue with B 31.4 0.8 factor design is that the negative tolerance on the line pipe is regarded as being included in the DF. Now without knowing what was actually specified, but the default API 5L tolerance is =/- 10%.

So the pipe could, in theory at least, be only 90% of what it should be leaving only 10% of the pipe thickness left before it hits 100% of SMYS.

How someone approved this I just don't know. All the words and documents I've seen you could drive a bus through the wishy washy arguments put forward.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

As was noted in the GAO comments, most operators think the additional mitigation procedures are a major PIA, so very few ever actually take advantage of the 80% factor anyway. You would think TC would get that message, especially when they know that everybody hates tar sand oil, nobody wanted the pipeline in the first place, now they look like greedy idiots trying to save a few bucks at the expense of public and environmental safety. They should have gone the other way and designed the whole pipeline with a 60% factor. We always did that in HCAs. They have an HCA product. Everywhere is an HCA. Then they could say that they honestly tried to be more safe than necessary and maybe even gain some public trust for a change. Now all they have is dirty tar sand oil in a creek, two black eyes and no chance of ever reviving the XL project. Total PR disaster. They'll be lucky if anybody let's them pick up a welding rod in the USA again. PHMSA isn't looking so good either. They need to rethink that 80% factor. My beef with that is less wt makes the corrosion problem and stress cracking that much more worse. And what's the cause of most pipeline incidents out on remote RoW? Gee. Let me think. Could it be that old corrosion problem? Major dumb move on both parties parts. Even Putin would be proud.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Thanks... 1503

-----*****-----

-Dik

Jayrood, I'm not serious about the light years and LI is right.

I guess I'm predicting corrosion induced stress cracking, possibly assisted by high silfides. Near a creek, so high water table, Big temperature changes. Perfect for water penetration of the coating, freezing, coating disbondment and under-the-coating corrosion. Or maybe just another weld gone bad. This PL does seem to have trouble with that.

Thanks to the International Yard and Pound agreement, the US inch is defined to be exactly 25.4mm. The US Gallon is defined as 231 in^3, and the oil barrel 42 gallons. The mm is defined as 1/1000 of a metre. The metre is defined as "The distance travelled by light in a vacuum in 29979458^-1 seconds". So the gallon and barrel are both ultimately defined in terms of the speed of light in a vacuum.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

If you're wondering how situations like this are allowed to happen, here's a case-in-point:

Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Idaho Officials Copy-Pasted A Fossil Fuel Industry Letter

TC Energy asked Idaho Republicans to support a gas infrastructure project. The Republicans simply slapped their names on the company’s draft letter.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Corporate "donations" must be prohibited to have government for the people.

So I wasn't expecting to see this elevation change.
This is not the best kind of profile for pipe stresses.
Two underbends on each side of an overbend of 38m (125 ft)
It doesn't look like they made much of an attempt to smooth off the overbend either.

14,000 bbls is 2.219 miles of pipeline volume.
Leak is
13.8 miles downstream of the last pump station and
2 miles upstream of the next block valve.

LEAK_PROFILE_rczwj7.png

Construction photo Aug 20, 2010
Construction_evmgvg.png

Oct 14, 2019
10-14-2019_nxwdlj.png

Dec 2022
Screenshot_20221215-205503_Gallery_xjmtpp.jpg

Poor resolution, but I think I don't see any motor on this valve, nor a power source for one.

V0_Plan_n02suj.png

v_0_wipawu.jpg

Yahoo News
Spill was Dilbit, dilluted bitumen.
More than 400 people are involved in the cleanup.
The response team has so far recovered 5,567 barrels of an oil-water mixture from Mill Creek.
----------------------------

WASHINGTON, Dec 16 (Reuters) - The U.S. Energy Department said on Friday it will begin buying back oil for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, or SPR, the first purchase since this year's record 180 million barrel release from the stockpile. The department will buy up to 3 million barrels for delivery in February, a senior official told reporters. President Joe Biden announced the 180 million sale in late March to combat surging gasoline prices that boosted inflation after the February invasion of Ukraine by Russia, the world's largest exporter of fossil fuels.

To help relieve supply shortages at refineries after an oil spill last week shut down the Keystone crude pipeline, the Energy Department will also execute an exchange of about 2 million barrels from the SPR, that companies will have to send back at a later date. "We are able to do that at the same time we're doing the 3 million barrel buy-back," the official said.
The White House said in October it would buy back oil for the SPR when prices at or below about $67-$72 per barrel, a bit below where U.S. benchmark futures were trading on Friday at about $75.
"We're gonna try to be nimble and flexible here," the official said, adding that the department likes where prices are now for exploring buy-backs. "It'd be very useful to put this notice out now and to see what the market would provide in terms of interest and at what price level for that," the official said.

The Energy Department said buying oil back at about current prices is "an opportunity to secure a good deal for American taxpayers by repurchasing oil at a lower price than the $96 per barrel average price it was sold for, as well as to strengthen energy security."

Yay, more inflation incoming. Print the money to buy the oil, increase demand for oil on market. It's a double edged attack on our wallets.

So, who's paying for the cleanup? If the person responsible is, then there should be no inflation. It's like 'lawyering', and the winner is ,"Big Oil."

-----*****-----

-Dik

Typically, if the spill is large, insurance will cover the cost of clean-up. The tugs in my fleet carry $1billion each in oil spill liability insurance. Of course, insurance is part of the overall cost of the oil and this will cause rates to go up but I suspect the change will be trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back