Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AASHTO Simplified Earth Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fromtherafters

Structural
Apr 8, 2014
US
In working with Figure 3.11.5.6-6 in the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Manual, I am finding conflicting opinions on how to handle the increased embedment of 1.2D. I consulted a Geotechnical engineer who stated the 1.2D is performed to achieve a F.S.=1.5. I reviewed references stating the 1.2 factor is used to account for differences between the simplified method and the conventional method and is not a factor of safety. Those references would apply a factor of safety by reducing the passive pressure (as I would commonly do), find the point of moment equilibrium and finally increase the embedment by 20% when using the simplified method.

I would appreciate it if anyone could share their thoughts, experiences or perhaps references that reinforce either position. Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My understanding is "D" is minimum embedment for individual elements, such as soldier piles and "D[sub]O[/sub]" is for a continuous wall, such as sheet piling. The DOT that I primarily work with adds 30% to the minimum embedment.

They also require that K[sub]P[/sub] be reduced by 1.5 for permanent walls and 1.25 for temporary walls, which is an additional safety factor.

I hope I didn't muddy up the waters for you.

bridgebuster - Thank you for the reply. I have had similar experiences and tend to agree with the method you outlined. I posted the question to see what others thought and if they had any additional information to support either case. I recently received comments indicating the additional embedment was to provide a factor of safety and reduction of the passive pressure was not required if an increase in embedment was implemented. Though I disagree with the comment, I would like a better understanding of the additional embedment outlined in AASHTO before committing to either approach. Thanks again for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back