Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS - beam bending moment capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzonni

Structural
Apr 25, 2016
RS
Hello, everybody. I would like to conduct beam analysis in order to find the bending carrying capacity. I have introduced the first mode of buckling analysis (lateral torsional buckling) as an initial imperfection and now i need to proceed with the static analysis. My problems are:
1) Which load magnitude should i use (the one for buckling analysis was 1 N/mm)? Do i need to find the load which causes instability and then proceed with the static analysis?
2) When the analysis is finished, it is usually aborted. Is that because of the failure (it stops at certain step, as if the beam had used it's capacity)?
3) How do i find moment carrying capacity? I have tried:

-Turning on the SF option in the field output history (it reports an error, as if i need to put a keyword)
-Creating the free body cut, in order to get the resulting bending moment (it gives me moment around an arbitrary axis around which the moment should be 0 (so, here is the problem with the coordinate system, apparently, which i don't know how to set; i need a moment around a horizontal axis, and the load is vertical).

I would be grateful if somebody can help me with my analysis. I am relatively new to abaqus, so forgive me if i may not know some of the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back