Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS/CAE 3D Model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RakVastav

Materials
Sep 12, 2011
US
Dear all,

Could anyone shed some light on constructing a 3D model in ABAQUS, which cannot be build by simple extrusion, revolution or sweep. I understand that I can build models in CAD and use it as an input for ABAQUS. The only other software I have is MATLAB. Any ideas on how I can build such models directly in ABAQUS/CAE ?

Thanks,

Rakesh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, with the right amount of patience and skill, you could write a code to parametrically generate a solid element decahedra (generating a nodal coordinate matrix and element matrix), but for complicated shapes it's most efficient to generate an .igs in a CAD package. I know Abaqus doesn't house the most user friendly CAD GUI, and that is why it's sometimes better to use a program like SolidWorks, Autocad, etc. Academic versions are cheap, otherwise you have to spend a lot of money or get creative...

If you are modelling stand-alone dodecahedral geometries you can generate them by drawing individual faces as shell parts. Assemble them appropriately, merge them and convert the resulting shell to a solid. You could script this with python or if there are a reasonable number of repeating faces on your geometry you can do it manually.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to create a simple decahedral model by using the extrusion feature first and then by creating sections and deleting unwanted features. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back