Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus CAE Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan14

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2006
DE
hi all,

while writing a python script and trying to perform a biased seeding using:

mdb.models[].parts[].seedEdgeByBias() method

I am having the following error:

"GUI detected error while waiting for ipc connection to close.
Abaqus error: Abaqus/CAE kernel exited with an error
"

any help..
thx in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It might be a 'bug'. 'Bugs' are not unusual for ABAQUS Scripting Interface. If this is the case you can contact ABAQUS support to let them know.

Are you sure that "mdb.models[].parts[].seedEdgeByBias() " is the problem ?? By the way what version of ABAQUS do you use ?

You can try to seed at the assembly level.

mdb.models["model_name"].rootAssembly.seedEdgeByBias()

I am using Abaqus 6-5.1.
I realized that Abaqus scripting is not free of bugs.
I am sure that "mdb.models[].parts[].seedEdgeByBias() " is the problem, but i found a sample script using this method on the assembly level. I will have to try it out.

thanks

I had the same message when using ABAQUS Studet Edition on my laptop. My feeling is that it might have something to do with the graphic cards, but could not confirm it. The reason for my suspicion is that when switching between the modules, the disaply would become messed up and I usually used F6 to refresh it. Once I reinstalled it (actually yesterday) it seems to be OK. I was not using scripts when the problem occured.

Back to the original post (as this thread was rapidly going off into nevernever land with blame being laid on graphics etc etc)

What arguments did you pass to your command:
mdb.models[].parts[].seedEdgeByBias(??????)
^^^^^^

The very best way to learn (aside from reading Section 27.2.12 of the Scripting Reference Manual) is to perform the action interactively (i.e using the GUI) and then look at the replay file to see the exact commands that ABAQUS/CAE journaled.

FYI the arguments that this command takes are:
- end1Edges or end2Edges (depending on which end to bias toward)
- ratio
- number (of seeds)

For instance a command that works 100% for me is:

>>> e = p3.edges
>>> myEdge = e[0:1]
>>> mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Part-1'].seedEdgeByBias(end2Edges=myEdge, ratio=2.0, number=9)

Of course you will need to know which edge in your model you need to pick.

My guess is that the argument you passed for end2Edges was invalid and caused the exception (abort).

Please let us know if this helps before you go reinstalling graphics cards and so on! ;)

hey guys....

this finally worked.... i was just passing invalid arguments..it has nothing to do with the graphics card.
i was passing the end2Edges argument as a tuple of edges... while it should be a sequence of edges...
sequence of edges can be obtained by passing sequence of coordinates to the findAt() comand.

Thanks all for the help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back