Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ABAQUS: How to create a Set for a WirePolyLine in Abaqus Scripting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwa0725

Structural
Feb 16, 2021
IE
Hi all,

This was a question asked in the past with no answer, thread799-391993, wondering if anyone has found a way to define a set for a wire in Abaqus scripting?

In Abaqus, a wire is a feature however the Set() method does not have an argument to receive a feature object and instead, the edge argument was used to define the set for a wire feature.

When creating a set, the script I was using is
Python:
mdb.models['Model-3'].rootAssembly.Set(edges=mdb.models['Model-3'].rootAssembly.edges.findAt(((2862.5, 5900.0, 0.0), )), name='Set-412')
, as you can see it requires a coordinate to pinpoint the location where the wire is located. This is not very useful if I have a zero-length wire connecting 2 edges as the same point will have multiple edges.

Does anyone knows a good way I can do something like edges=mdb.models['Model-3'].rootAssembly.features['WireName']? This is currently giving me an error.

Thanks very much!

Regards,

Heng

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you FEA way,

So the solution is to assign the created wire instance to a variable and then reuse that wire object by calling the variable without needing to know its coordinates, this is straightforward, I should have thought of this..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back