Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus - line load on channel beam applied outside of a beam (in shear center)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzonni

Structural
Apr 25, 2016
RS
Hello, everybody. I'm having a problem regarding the application of a line load beyond the contours of a channel tube made out of shell elements. I am trying to perform lateral torsional buckling analysis and the load needs to act in shear center. Does anybody have a solution for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that's not possible. A line load is treated as a load on the whole cross section of the selected shell edges. It is not possible to specify, that is recalculated to be only on specific section points.

You can model that end of your structure with solids, apply your load there as necessary and connect it with shell-to-solid-couplind to your shell structure.

Thank you for your answer. I will try that, but i am interested in your opinion regarding this: if i make such a model with load applied on a thin part made of solids, do i have to reduce the modulus of elasticity for that part (because i don't want it to act as a stiffener)? Also, if i connect my two parts with shell-to-solid coupling, will the load be directly distributed to my beam, or there is a possibility that the slender part made of solid elements may buckle itself before the beam does?

I am not saying that it's stiffer, i am saying that it is a stiffener. Basically, i need that part only to apply load on, not to contribute to the area and moment of inertia of the entire cross section. So, if i put minimal thickness (number close to zero) or if i model that part with small modulus of elasticity, i am afraid that only that part will buckle, not inducing the buckling of the main part, which is what i want to happen.

You don't seem to understand. When your part is 5mm thick and has a steel material, then you define your solid and your shell elements with these propeties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back