Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus scripting & UMAT subroutine or linking Abaqus & MATLAB for an iterative process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yunus9696

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2022
IR
In the case of simulation of an iterative process (Let's say we have 30 iterations) in which elements' material properties need to be changed after each iteration based on the results (eg. resulting strain field) of the previous iteration, which method is preferred and why?

Thanks in advance.

PS1: An example of such a process would be a simulation of the 30 days of bone healing by 30 iterations.
PS2: Answers can also be added to the RG:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The example that you provided (or more generally bone remodeling) is a quite common topic for analyses involving Abaqus. Thus, I would go this way and search for articles and theses on this topic. You may find a lot of useful information there and maybe even you will come across ready-made scripts and subroutine codes.

There is a bunch of stuff on that and most of it is based off of plasticity (multiplicative decomposition of the deformation gradient tensor) which has fundamental issues but I can't say whether those have any impact on what you are investigating.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Try searching on github... Some crazy UMAT things lurk there.. But anyway diving into UMAT and making significant changes greatly increases your change to become unstable.

For example I went the Abaqus/python way... But only using python as a iterative pre and post, for .inp generation - letting Abaqus solve its thing. If I understand correctly you are trying to develope a new constitutive relationship. If the inbuild abaqus models are not sufficient than UMAT is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back