Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus scripting - getting edges via getbyBounding-Command does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martensite_Steel

Civil/Environmental
Feb 8, 2019
DE
Hello there,

I'm learning Abaqus scripting with the Abaqus scripting reference guide. Not a beginner in Abaqus, but the scripting part is pretty new to me.

To apply local seeds to a flange, I'd like to select edges along the Z-direction of my part. It does work with the findAt command. However, since the partitions might change during parameter studies, I'd prefer to find all the edges via a getByBounding command and to put them in a set. I tried GetByBoundingCylinder, Sphere, Box.... Whatever I do, the set "seedsedge" always stays empty, although the reference guide clearly states, that these commands may be used to select edges for an edge array. When I apply a boundingsphere or cylinder in such a way, that it contains the whole part, I get all the edges inside. But thats not why I want. I just want the long edges in the set (see attached picture).
edges_vateic.jpg

So, this might be an easy question for experienced scripters. However, I can't seem to find useful information on the web, so I hope for someone who could push me in the right direction.

Happy 3/14 everyone.

Here's the code:

from mesh import *
from part import *
from material import *
from section import *
from assembly import *
from step import *
from interaction import *
from load import *
from optimization import *
from job import *
from sketch import *
from visualization import *
from connectorBehavior import *
import math

m=mdb.models['Model-1']
p=m.parts
a=m.rootAssembly
l=2500.0
b=200.0
t_f=13.0
t_w=13.0
a=5.0
k=a/math.cos(math.pi/4)
h=200.0
h_w=h-2*t_f

Steel='S960'

### Residual
frf_plus=460.0
frf_minus=-120.0
frw_minus=-170.0
frw_plus=460.0

cp=t_w+2*(2**0.5)*a
Flange_res=t_f*(cp*frf_plus+(b-cp)*frf_minus)
cs=(-2*Flange_res+h_w*t_w*frw_minus)/(t_w*(frw_minus-frw_plus))

### Material
mdb.models['Model-1'].Material(name='S960')
mdb.models['Model-1'].materials['S960'].Density(table=((7.85e-09, ), ))
mdb.models['Model-1'].materials['S960'].Elastic(table=((210000.0, 0.3),
))
mdb.models['Model-1'].materials['S960'].Plastic(table=((960.0, 0.0), (
980.0, 0.055)))

mdb.models['Model-1'].Material(name='S690')
mdb.models['Model-1'].materials['S690'].Density(table=((7.85e-09, ), ))
mdb.models['Model-1'].materials['S690'].Elastic(table=((210000.0, 0.3),
))
mdb.models['Model-1'].materials['S690'].Plastic(table=((690.0, 0.0), (
790.0, 0.14)))

mdb.models['Model-1'].Material(name='S460')
mdb.models['Model-1'].materials['S460'].Density(table=((7.85e-09, ), ))
mdb.models['Model-1'].materials['S460'].Elastic(table=((210000.0, 0.3), ))
mdb.models['Model-1'].materials['S460'].Plastic(table=((460.0, 0.0), (525.0,
0.14)))

###Sections

mdb.models['Model-1'].HomogeneousSolidSection(material='S460', name='S460',
thickness=None)
mdb.models['Model-1'].HomogeneousSolidSection(material='S690', name='S690',
thickness=None)
mdb.models['Model-1'].HomogeneousSolidSection(material='S960', name='S960',
thickness=None)

### Parts

mdb.models['Model-1'].ConstrainedSketch(name='__profile__', sheetSize=200.0)
mdb.models['Model-1'].sketches['__profile__'].rectangle(point1=(0.0, 0.0), point2=(b, t_f))
mdb.models['Model-1'].Part(dimensionality=THREE_D, name='Flange', type=DEFORMABLE_BODY)
mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].BaseSolidExtrude(depth=l, sketch=mdb.models['Model-1'].sketches['__profile__'])
del mdb.models['Model-1'].sketches['__profile__']
dtpoint1=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].DatumPointByOffset(point=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].InterestingPoint(mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].edges.findAt((0.0, 0.0, l), ), MIDDLE), vector=(t_w/2, 0.0, 0.0))
dtpoint2=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].DatumPointByOffset(point=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].InterestingPoint(mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].edges.findAt((0.0, 0.0, l), ), MIDDLE), vector=(-t_w/2, 0.0, 0.0))
dtpoint3=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].DatumPointByOffset(point=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].InterestingPoint(mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].edges.findAt((0.0, 0.0, l), ), MIDDLE), vector=(t_w/2+k, 0.0, 0.0))
dtpoint4=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].DatumPointByOffset(point=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].InterestingPoint(mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].edges.findAt((0.0, 0.0, l), ), MIDDLE), vector=(-t_w/2-k, 0.0, 0.0))
dtpoint1_id=dtpoint1.id
dtpoint2_id=dtpoint2.id
dtpoint3_id=dtpoint3.id
dtpoint4_id=dtpoint4.id
m.parts['Flange'].PartitionCellByPlanePointNormal(cells=m.parts['Flange'].cells.findAt(((0.0, t_f/2, 2*l/3), )), normal=m.parts['Flange'].edges.findAt((0.0, 0.0, l), ), point=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].datums[dtpoint3_id])
m.parts['Flange'].PartitionCellByPlanePointNormal(cells=m.parts['Flange'].cells.findAt(((0.0, t_f/2, l/2), )), normal=m.parts['Flange'].edges.findAt((t_f/2, 0.0, l), ), point=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].datums[dtpoint1_id])
m.parts['Flange'].PartitionCellByPlanePointNormal(cells=m.parts['Flange'].cells.findAt(((0.0, t_f/2, l/2), )), normal=m.parts['Flange'].edges.findAt((t_f/2, 0.0, l), ), point=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].datums[dtpoint2_id])
m.parts['Flange'].PartitionCellByPlanePointNormal(cells=m.parts['Flange'].cells.findAt(((0.0, t_f/2, l/2), )), normal=m.parts['Flange'].edges.findAt((t_f/2, 0.0, l), ), point=mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].datums[dtpoint4_id])

edges = mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].edges.getByBoundingCylinder((-b,0.0,l/2),(b,0.0,l/2),b)
mdb.models['Model-1'].parts['Flange'].Set(edges=edges, name='seedsedge')

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess the bounding box only takes the edges that are fully within the box.

Two workarounds:
Take all edges (either directly or by a bounding box) and check the length of the edges with getSize(). This should indicate which edges are long and which are short.
Or take all edges and then take all short edges with two bounding boxes at both ends of the part. Then you can compare the lists and know what the long edges are.

Or you query the points of the edges with getVertices(), then check their coordinates and if both vertices have the same z-coordinate then you know that it is a short edge. At least it looks like that on your image.

I guess, that was the misconception. I thought, it would select all edges being touched by the box/sphere/cylinder.
I think I'll go with the option where I substract the short edges with bounding boxes for now.

Solid advice as always, Mustaine3. Thank you! Have a great weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back