Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Above ground floating -roof tanks for Crude oil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgsuby

Petroleum
Jul 29, 2003
IN
Can you kindly provide me information on the following:
We are planning to build floating roof tanks for strategic storage of crude oil. In this connection, pl let me know:
1.What is the maximum diameter permitted for such tanks?
2.What is the max height to which these tanks can be built?
3.What are the latest regulations regarding tank dykes? If we build double-walled tanks, will there be any change with regard to inter-distance of tanks and the requirement of dykes?

S.G.Subramoney, Dy GM, Central Engg Cell,
Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd., Bombay, India

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API 650 is the code typically used in tank construction.

The size of the tanks is a factor of how much storage you require and the capabilities of the contractor that you will use to construct the tanks.

With respect to secondary containment dykes, the standard in the USA is that they must contain 110% of the volume of the largest tank in the dyked area.

Mr Subramoney

You should be avare of the fact that this site is "tips" from one engineer to another.

This means that the more specific the question the less "fuzzy" the answer.

A general question will (if it gets any replys at all) ofte just result in a debate like tread.

You should also consider that there is no "QA" or "responsibility" for answers found here.

For a large "real world project" you should contact a professional consultant/vendor/contractor.

Another thing: We really like that people spell out the words and dont use "internet styre" abbrevations such as "pl" etc. It seems a little unproffesional in this forum.

Best regards

Morten

I am working for a customer who has a 222' d x 32' h crude oil tank with an internal floating roof. The IFR sunk during an oil movement and is now resting (they think) on its legs. The area below the IFR is full of oil and there is 2' of oil on top of the IFR. Our objective is to strip the 2' of oil off of the roof to remove the weight so they can drain the area below the roof. The work plan is to use King Vacs to pull the oil over the top (approximately 22' up and 32' down), and once a siphon effect is established, divert the flow to a pump and pump the oil downline. We are having problems controlling the vapors in the space between the product and the fixed roof to allow us to strip the oil. Currently, we are injecting nitrogen into the tank and seem to be making slow head way. I am looking to offer the customer some new ideas and/or validate the current plan with case histories.

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation or refer me to someone who does?

Does anyone have any other ideas to;

1. Supress the LEL and create an oxygen deficient environment, and

2. Remove the oil from the top of the roof.

Thanks,

Jerry Nelson
FSS- New Orleans, LA
225-279-0022
nelson.gerard@cleanharbors.com

MortenA - you might want to help in lieu of critisizing.
sgsuby - there is no "real" limitation to tank size. At some point it may be uneconomical or the steel required may not be available but API gives you methods to calculate the shell thickness for any size and height tank. I've seen over 300 feet diameter - is that not large enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back