Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accentuated letters in drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitti

Automotive
Jul 4, 2011
HU
Hello everybody,

I need to use accentuated letters in NX, but I don't know how.
I am from Hungary, so I need letters like á, é, í, ó... etc.
Any idea?
Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds good. But how can I do that?
I found the file here:
C:\Program Files\UGS\NX 7.0\UGII\ugfonts\latin_extended.fnx
Do I have to search for the settings in File\Utilities\Customer Defaults...?

Attached is a program called 'FontFactory' which will allow you to open any NX font and to generate a table of characters showing the sequence needed to use them. After opening the .fnx file (the source file for an NX font), the table option is on the 'Info' menu pull-down.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hello John,

I am back, and I still have questions. If you can help me.
First, I can't find the attached program. But no problem I downloaded one, but something is not ok.
I have FontFactory 3.0. When I try to open latin_extended.fnx it gives the following error message:
""""Sorry. Conversion using ugfontc failed. This is probably because FontFactory could not find either ugfontc or libsyss.dll. Maybe the problem arose because your UGII_ROOT_DIR environment variable is not set correctly.""""
Any other advise?
Thank you in advance.

FontFactory depends on a couple of files found in your current version of NX, but I've had this same problem and the easiest fix is to simply go to the most recent NX installation on your system and COPY the libsyss.dll file from the UGII folder and the ugfontc.exe file from the UGII\ugfonts folder and place them to your FontFactory folder (say that 3 times real fast ;-) Now you should be good to go.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

Hi sitti

I'm from Mexico and I use accentuated letters too.

The default NX font (blockfont) doesn't identify accentuated letters and even the degree symbol. But I've used the fonts "hershey-sans" and "iso-1" and they give me no problem, I can write whatever I want in spanish (like: á, ñ, ü, °,etc.)

So, give it a try, may be it could help you

Hello Guys,

Thank you for your help.
But one more basic (I hope the last) question. Where and how can I change the font type?
I found File\ Utilities\ Customer defaults\Drafting\General\Lettering fonts. If it's the right place, I don't know what to do with it.

Generally you can ignore this page of Customer Defaults (in fact, it's been removed starting with NX 8.0) as this is only there if you've got some older custom applications (written before at least UG V16.0) where the fonts used in a file were assigned specific numbers (slots). In these older versions of the programming tools, the fonts were assigned and accessed via their 'slot' numbers inside the parts database. Back then new part files were automatically created pre-loaded with all the UG fonts available. Ever since those UG V16.0 or so days, part files were created with only the pre-defined fonts as those specified in the Drafting Standard defaults (this helped to reduce the size of an empty part file as we no longer needed to pre-load what might be dozens, if not hundreds, of never to be used fonts). Now when there's a need to use an additional font while creating a Drawing you simply specify it and it will be added to the part file definition. That way we only need to store the data for the fonts that we actually use and nothing else.

So I guess to answer your first question, the default fonts are now defined in the Drafting Standard used. And if you wish to change the default font once you've already started to work on a drawing file, that can be done at...

Preferences -> Annotation -> Lettering

...but it can be overridden on a case-by-case basis from within the text editor itself.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back