Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Acceptable Leak Rate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnTMan

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2005
US
Hello All, I am attempting to answer a question for a customer, who is looking for a basis to accept small nuisance leaks of air at a bolted joint, a flat cover on a flat head.

Do you know of any Code / Standard / Specification / Practice that addresses permissable / acceptable leak rates for equipment in service, especially for non-hazardous gasses such as air?

I suspect that this is up to the owner, but I was asked if there are published guidlines that may meet this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fyi, leaks of any kind in a process system are a waste of energy and it will cost the operator more money for the process. i think you are aware of the "global warming" situtation.

now, as far as code/std/practice, i am not aware of any, but that does not mean there are. perhaps further information about the equipment/process will yield better results for you.

good luck!
-pmover

Leaks at gasketed joints can be tolerable within limits. An old Taylor Forge flange design paper suggests that 6 drops per hour (10-4 cc/sec) would be acceptable for liquids. Appendix 2-14(a) of the BPVC states:"...The use of the rigidity index does not guarantee a leakage rate within established limits." I don't know what the 'established limits' are.

You should read all of Appendix S for flange guidelines. There are many factors that can be the cause of the leak. Post the design conditions, geometry and materials and it may be possible to determine the exact cause of the leak.

I would check the ASTM and WRC web sites for reference material.

Regards

Economics come in here. Estimate the cost of the leak. Refrain from politics ie global warming junk, keep to the facts with your client. Work on how you can seal the connection better with elastomers, or mechanically machining the serfaces.

Economics come in here. Estimate the cost of the leak. Refrain from politics ie global warming junk, keep to the facts with your client. Work on how you can seal the connection better with elastomers, or mechanically machining the surfaces.

Thanks all for the input. At this time, the issue is not so much the cause of the leak, which will no doubt be discovered and corrected in due time. Rather the issue is whether or not there is some "formal" acceptance criteria for small leaks as described.

I am doing the research on behalf of the customer, who hopes to be able to present such criteria to the owner, and get paid.

Regards,

Mike

deanc, thanks for the Flow Control Network link. The reference to EPA requirements is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back