Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Access to Emergency VFD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatapeach

Military
Jun 20, 2013
US
The electrical contractor installed a VFD exactly as shown on the drawings; however, the only access to it would be to climb over some pipe.
VFD_ciygd5.jpg
It doesn't make sense that you would not have easier access to this variable frequency drive. Does code address access other than clearance to a panel? See photo attached

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The access in front is not what I questioning. I don’t think you should have to climb over pipe to get to an emergency panel. I mean technically I could fail it based on the International Building Code which requires clear access for a path of egress.

I don't see that there is any local control there. What would you need to do in an 'emergency' at the panel? It's not necessary for an area to have clear access, only clearance in front for maintenance.

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

A dedicated control panel for a specific piece of equipment is not subject to the same working space and access requirements (NEC) as a switchboard or panelboard.

The pipe obstruction is not ideal, but probably not a major issue.

Wayne440 said:
A set of steps over the pipe would solve your issue.
As is done all the time with conveyors.

If you are in the US, you must meet the requirements for clear working space as outlined in the NEC, article 110.26 and OSHA 1926.403(i)(1)*. Just from appearances, yours probably does, although the mini-split unit above it may be a problem.

*Which by chance happen to agree with each other (/s).

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Not sure anything in the NEC would require that equipment to be readily accessible. That equipment is accessible, but it is not readily accessible.
Code:
 Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible).  Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to take actions such as to use tools (other than keys), to climb over or under, to remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.
Code:
 Accessible (as applied to equipment).  Capable of being reached for operation, renewal, and inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back