Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a License outside of a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmorgan

Automotive
Nov 3, 2009
US
I tried asking this before, but don't think I was clear enough. So here it is again:

I have a computer that has the license file on it and is the server. I have another computer on the SAME network that points to that file and works fine.

Does anyone know how to properly configure the LMTOOLS for a computer that is outside the network(or if you even use LMTOOLS)? The port has been open for that license server and I know the IP address. I am aware of the environment variables and have it set to 28000@[ipaddress].

So what do I need to do in LMTOOLS, if any, to allow my computer looking in to see the right license file?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can connect to the server using VPN, you should be able to access a license. You shouldn't have to do anything special as long as the VPN connection has no extra firewalls or filters.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

So how does another computer actually obtain the license information. Does it use the licensing software, such as LMTOOLS or does it just need the environment variable to be pointing to it port@hostname?

That is where I am confused, if LMTOOLS plays a role in another computer accessing the license server or not.

When you set up NX on the 'remote' workstation, when you are asked for the license server, you supply it with the node information for the server which you connect to via your VPN. Note that the license information is NOT transferred to the remote system, but rather checks-out and releases license bits in real-time over the VPN connection. This will have very little impact on performance as long as the NX software is installed on the remote station so all that's moving over the net is a very limited amount of data whenever a user changes modules or launches a function which requires a different module.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

There is something as borrowing in the LMtools menu, then you can borrow a license from your license server and use it localy on the disered laptop. Could be usefull for taking your designs to a customer or a supplier.
Search for it in the help files of LMTools, it not so hard to figure out. :)

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX4+TC9 / NX6+TC8Unified / NX7.5 native

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back