Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACI 318-19(R22) Ch 26, 26.13 Inspections requirements by the Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

x5bulldog

Structural
Jan 8, 2008
US
I would like to hear others thoughts on the Inspection requirements by the Licensed Design Engineer(LDP)(or person under the LDP or a qualified inspector) stated in ACI Chapter 26, section 26.13.1.2.

Chapter 26 begins with "in the absence of a general building code, concrete construction shall be inspected in accordance with the provisions of this code". However, in the commentary, is states the Code does not intend that the inspector should supervise Construction.

Generally in the past, I see Field Observations Reports to be provided by the Engineer and to make it clear to the Owner and Construction, the Observation Reports are not "supervision of construction" or "inspections" as to reduce Risk on the Engineer. Even though ACI 318-19 addresses the "supervision of construction" in the commentary, I read Chapter 26 as a whole; more risk passed onto the engineer, and is somewhat a supervision of construction, which QC/QA is also being placed onto the engineer. Commentary R26.13.1.2 states the LDP is in the best positions to determine if Construction is in Conformance with the construction documents.

What are your thoughts on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back