Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACROBAT PDF PRINTER IN UGS NX4 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian77

Marine/Ocean
Sep 4, 2003
ES
We use NX4. I have configured the plotters but when trying to plot a drawing, it sends a cgm file to the printers, the printer receive that data in the queue but nothing happens. Same occurs with the acrobat pdf printer. (I treated this pdf printer as any other printer and maybe it is not correct).

Can somebody give any guidance?

Thanks in advance.

A77

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Welcome to the world of SDI! Shocking plotting program, was in IDEAS and still is within NX!

Check out program called M-Plot. Supports all plotters including pdf, easy to install, plots the correct line weights and works every time!

Someone at UGS please include this software within NX!

Adrian77,

Try going to C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\print_submit\ and deleting all folders under but NOT including print_submit. There may be a lock file that's causing your problems.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Kukelyk,
I looked on that site, and it said it's an alternative to, cute pdf, and PDF995, i've tried both of these, and they don't give drwgs the correct line thickness, is this one any different ??
I loaded the M-QUEST one yesterday, and it seems very good, except its expensive $220.

Hi,

Thanks for all your helpful posts.

nkwheelguy: I have tried to delete the folder and files inside print_submitt folder but no success. I cannot print pdf (Acrobat 6 prof.)neither in a couple of konica machines nor OKI. Next step would be trying with the software kukelyk propose but I don't like to install software before being sure it is really needed (since I have acrobat 6....).

what is the problem with the line widths?
i had before problems, not only in pdfs, but printing overall, plotting from nx makes very high ie. 3-4mms line widths:
the solution was writing this string into the ugii_env.dat or the ugii_metric.def: i don't remember..
UGII_WMF_LINE_WIDTH_SCALE_FACTOR=0.25

----
kukelyk

First, if others wish to continue the PDF discussion, please start another thread. Posts are starting to become 2 completely different subjects. BTW, it's kinda silly to buy software for making PDFs since NX5 has a newly added PDF writer (finally) for free, unless you plan on using NX4 or older versions for a long time.

The variable UGII_WMF_LINE_WIDTH_SCALE_FACTOR is for using the Print command, I believe. Plotting can be controlled using Custom 3 Widths in the Plot dialog.

Adrian77,

By no success, do you mean that you couldn't delete the folders or you could delete them but it didn't change anything? If you cannot delete them, you probably don't have permission and need to get that changed so you can.

If you did delete them and still cannot plot, I'd just start all over and redefine the printers/plotters/PDF writers. It's a little hard to diagnose something when all that is reported is that "it's not working but it was before".

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

kukelyk,

According to UGS, that variable does not affect plotting (File -> Plot) only printing (File -> Print). File -> Plot does not use a Windows Metafile (hence WMF in the variable) during plotting.

Adrian77,

I would just redo the printer/plotter setup and see if that doesn't do anything to help out the issue. It doesn't take but about 5 minutes to configure a few printers or plotters. If you need help, go to GTAC's website and go to Documentation and get the NX 3.0 Plotting Quick User's Guide.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back