Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Activating switches mechanically from a distance 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuTwo

Computer
Feb 9, 2021
GB
Hi

Although I am in IT, this is a personal project that I am pursuing so, if it's inappropriate, please advise. thank you.

I have a floor effects unit that I use when playing electric guitar. It has a foot pedal that is essentially a potentiometer and can be used to control, for example, volume. It also has two foot switches that do their pre-assigned job just fine.

My problem is that the unit also has 6 small switches that, in practice, can only operated with a finger which is impractical when playing live and I'd like the ability to control them with my feet. The switches themselves are slightly recessed and I would describe them as small plastic sprung cylindrical toggle switches. The head of a match is comparable in size. When depressed by 2-3mm, they activate and spring back upwards to their resting position.

My original plan was to use individual electric foot switches within a foot of the unit connected by wire to a solenoid somehow secured to the unit above the appropriate switch. The theory then was that, when activated, the solenoid would would depress the switch. Problem solved? No! I splashed out on a couple of small solenoids but they didn't have enough power to depress the switch. Also as some of these small switches centres are within 1.5cm of each other, the size of the solenoids would be too large to squeeze size by side. If more powerful solenoids were available then it might be an option but I suspect the overall cost maybe prohibitive for me.

I am now wondering whether ther may be a "simple" mechanical solution to this problem. Is there some kind of purely mechanical pedal available whose energy could somehow be transferred over a distance of, say, 12 inches that might do the job. I can envisage a solution that might be achieved by a series of rods and cogs but that seems complicated and possibly beyond my limited skills. I appreciate that taking the unit apart, finding the appropriate connections and wiring an electrical solution is also a possible solution but also probably beyond me and I don't want to risk damaging the unit.

I have uploaded a photo that shows the 6 switches (2 banks of 3) labelled "- effect type +', 'store', 'tap' etc

I guess what I'm looking for would not be dissimilar to someone who wants to ring a doorbell using a mechanical solution to link the pedal to the doorbell itself.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e3cd8ea0-5310-4ba6-90d6-3fb6ef36fcbe&file=ZoomG21u.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're not supposed to fiddle with those while you're playing. Those buttons are used for setting up patches, which you save and then cycle through with the footswitches.

That said, TheTick's suggestion is next best. You could spend hours and hours fiddling with some bicycle brake/shifter cable setup that would be hard to adjust, not really portable, and the supporting structure would get in the way of using the rest of the pedal.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. As I mentioned, I think the electronic solutions, while probably preferable, are beyond me. I don't have the skills to identify the appropriate contacts nor to do the necessary soldering where the "room to move" is tight. I can just about manage soldering a jack plug.

These buttons are not just for setting up patches. The two key buttons of interest are the 'effect type +/-' buttons which, in live play, would allow me to switch between different banks of patches and hence offer immediate access to so many more than the existing foot switches do without pressing those footswitches a ridiculous number of times which is impractical on stage.

I will look at the cable release possibility, thank you. The bicycle brake type system had occurred to me as a possible line of enquiry.

How many daggum patches do you use on any one gig? You can copy any patch to the user area in any position you want. Using 03, 21, 33, 04, and 18? Copy them to A1, A1, A3, A4, and A5. They're just a couple clicks away.

Thanks again.

TheTick - pneumatic worth considering thanks.

3DDave - I do already have a homemade version of this pedal but the problem is you can only assign it to one function. So I could assign it to the allow me to move upwards through the patch banks for example but I'd have no way of doing the reverse (i.e. going backwards through the banks).

handleman - I know I can copy patches and I know how to use the unit. I've had it for years. Copying patches is just fine but if you have all the ones you need in a single bank (say 8) then you'd have to hit the switch 7 times to get from 1 to 8. Not practical. If I had patches in A1 A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 C1 C2 C3 then I could set up B3 as my most common setting and I'd have 4 settings within one click and a heck of a lot more within 2 clicks. 2 clicks is just about practical to swap from one effect to anouther DURING a song, anything more is not (for me anyway).

As far as a mechanical solution, you could design a small manual plunger assembly that would have some type of housing with plungers that line up over the buttons. This could be mounted to the effects unit with something as simple as velcro that would hold it in place and more importantly provide a breakaway feature for the inevitable bumps that will occur.

Something like this could be even 3D printed by a company like Shapeways for a reasonable price. Since the buttons on the effects unit themselves are already spring loaded, the plungers could basically float with some type of retainer underneath so they don't get lost. It is probably also necessary to limit the travel of the plungers to keep from damaging the switches.

I still have a Line 6 Pod XT from 2004 with a Shortboard pedal board to control it. I've had to replace a couple of the switches on the pedal board due to bumps and bruises it's sustained over the years.

Kyle

Thanks again.

Kyle - that approach would work were it not for the fact that the switches are so close together. I wouldn't be able to use my foot to hit one plunger without risking hitting another at the same time.

TheTick - yes it is a shame as I have a midi controller I could use for that purpose. Boo hoo.

This lets you put the pedal on the floor and the controller where you can reach it, just exactly where you would put the remote switches.

I think the plunger and camera cable release options could be similar and I'm leaning towards the latter. I really appreciate all the input thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back