Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add tags to Weldments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsu50

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hi all,

Is it possible to create a macro that when i add a weldment view to a drawing, i can select a structural member, and have it add a description tag to the member that is specified in custom properties?

I've seen piping programs for autocad that if you select a piece of pipe, it will allow you to place a piece of descriptive text, and attach it to the piece. thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't get it to do what you want either. These AutoCAD programs you see are written specifically to route piping systems... That's a whole different animal than a simple weldment. Although the weldment tool does have pipe sections built into it - they're there for structural reasons. Notice you can't do fittings either.

What information do you want in your "tag"?
Maybe there's another way you can git-r-done.

Windows 2000 Professional / Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
SolidWorks 2006 SP02.0 / SpaceBall 4000 FLX
Diet Coke with Lime / Dark Chocolate
Lava Lamp

information that would be included in a BOM, such as dimensional information, size of a member. When you put the cursor over an entity in a drawing you get a flag that comes up with say the "file name" or a description "2x2"

Then you want to make a CUT-LIST for your weldment instead of a BOM. That's where you'll get the information to display on your drawing.

Look up "cut list" in the help menu.

Lava Lamp

i know about cut lists but i was wanting to label the pieces in the assembly ISO view, kind of like the way you see those particle board desks that you buy, the little assembly drawing that comes with them showing that piece AA goes with BB. If that make sence.... :)

You can add custom properties to your weldment bodies... then add that column to the cut list. I just tried this on a small weldment & it worked fine.

Lava Lamp

thats what i'd like to accomplish, only be able to select the part from the view, and have that custom property pop up as text in say the ISO view for assembly purposes.

I'd like to not have to type the text in manually since the info is in the part file.

There's no easy way to make it "pop up" in an item bubble or annotation. If you can live with the data listed in a cut list - then search thru the help menus for "cut list". Then, when you have some specific questions, we can help you more.

Lava Lamp

I figured that was the case. I have the cut list doing what i need, and if thats the only way then so be it! Thanks for the help

i dont think so. the only options for balloons are for quantity, and you can enter custom text manually. I'd like the ballon to show the info from custom properties.

Yes, you can do this with a balloon. In the Balloon property manager select the "more properties" button at the bottom. The property manager then changes to the note property manager you you have the option to link to a custom property in the text format section. It's the icon in the middle (paper, hand, chain) under the angle input dialog box.

Once you create one linked balloon yo can copy/paste it to all your parts and the balloon will update (per part) to the correct custom property.

We do this all the time.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
SW 2006 SP 2.0

Rob...
Please confirm that you can do this with a weldment & not an assembly. I tried it & couldn't figure it out... I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Lava Lamp

I've actually never tried it in a weldment, I should have paid more attention to the thread header. Sorry. I should have said we do this all the time in assemblies. When you create a weldment does it create individual part files or a X number of bodies? It if creates part files then it should still work because you can asign the custom property to the parts, if its X number of bodies in the file then I'm not sure it would because I don't believe you can assign custom properties to bodies.

Sorry if I'm causing confusion here. Thanks for calling me on this Tate J.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
SW 2006 SP 2.0

You can assign custom properties to bodies in a milti-body part (which is what the weldment feature creates)... But the only way I know of to display that information on a drawing is in a weldment cut list.

No problem Rob... happy to help [hammer]

Lava Lamp

Rob...

After you create your weldment & update the cut list... RMB on Cut-List-Item(1) & select PROPERTIES. There you can create more custom properties... should look familiar now.

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back