Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a PDF & DXF dataset to TeamCenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossob

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2007
AU
I am wondering if anyone can help me to be able to add a DXF & PDF dataset to an item in TeamCenter? When we create a plate drawing, we generally send our supplier a PDF copy of the drawing and also a DXF file for laser-cutting. We would like the ability to be able to lock these two files down with the item revision when it is signed-off.

Currently if we go to add a new dataset for a DXF file, we find that the DXF file-type is not available from the dataset drop-down box, hence we cannot add a DXF.

When we go to export a PDF copy of the drawing file from NX, we get a message saying:
EXPORT PDF
TEAMCENTER ERROR: DATASETTYPE PDF IS INVALID.

Is anyone able to offer any insight as to how we would go about this? Many thanks

Ross

NX6.0.1.5 WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You've given us versions of everything but teamcentre. However it used to be under file>insert dataset and there was a pull down list of file types that could be added in the ensuing dialogs. Under that list I am certain that a UG file, Word Document and PDF were listed as I have added each of those file types. I am uncertain as to whether DXF is a listed file type, or whether there is an option for <unknown> or <uncategorised> files. Another idea may be to check whether a zip file is allowed since you could always zip the DXF's as a last resort.

Best of Luck

Hudson

Hudson, PDF wasn't a standard dataset type, hence the invalid datasettype error message we were getting. With a bit of help from PLMA we were able to get these datasets added.

Ross
NX6.0.1.5 WinXP SP2
TC V10.0.2.4
SolidWorks 2007

It certainly was addable in TC V9 I wonder if those are configurable somewhere in that case. All I know is that I have done it in the past with a PDF but not with a DXF.

Cheers

Hudson

We also have a procedure which was created with help from GTAC. Now we have a new portal.jar file which we replace for each user to be able to export pdf.

DXF can be drag and dropped from Windows using the text dataset. (DXF is just a text file after all).

NX 5.0.5.3
TC 10.0.2.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back