Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding JT Facetted Bodies into a NX7 Partfile - Can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASawtell

Computer
Aug 31, 2010
US
Question from a colleague:

"Okay, I have a JT File - it has a facetted solid body. I need to add it into the model space of an existing NX part, as background reference - WITHOUT using Add Component. Mind you, doing this in TeamCenter, and not standalone NX mode."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the JT file was created with a full set of B-rep data stored with it, you could try going to...

File -> Open...

...and set the 'Files of type' option to 'JT Files (*.jt)' and select the .jt file. If there is the proper data you will have what's actually an Assembly with a single Component in it, which will contain the solid body derived from the JT file.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks for the answer, have relayed it to my colleague. My follow up question, which should help folks in the audience - what is the best way to create a JT with a full set B-Rep (NX, IDEAS, etc.)?

Figure there is a white paper for that somewhere from Siemens...

Hi, John. An old ex-Siemens instructor here, aka, the "colleague". I thought I'd jump in and make direct communication.

When using File->Open in NX Integration, the filter for file types is grayed out. Should it be available?

The best option so far was to create an Item in Teamcenter, then create a dataset and import the JT into that dataset. Then, instead of adding that NX file as a component, I imported the file into my drawing file where I need the background.

I don't need associativity to that master geometry of the background and I need to see some detail. If it's an engine, I need to recognize different engine components. I do not need selectable edge/fact geometry, just the picture.

Thanks, hope all is well with you.

- Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back