Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Additional line in meshing in Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

azidah

Mechanical
Feb 10, 2007
CA
Hi,

I am modeling an indentation test on a coating plate ( 2 layers)using ABAQUS cae 6.5.1. The model runs fine (with some errors ofcourse) but the deformed result showed some extra lines crossing the meshing (not part of the meshing) as if there were some disortion.

Do you guys have any ideas how to get rid these unwanted lines (they are not straight). I am using hex (element shape) and structured (Technique. Or does it got to do with my interaction properties.

Please help.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you model contact between two bodies, you might see some body overlapping if you set the deformation scale factor to a value different than 1.0.

I don't know if this is your problem since is not very clear from your post what exactly you're trying to describe by "the deformed result showed some extra lines crossing the meshing (not part of the meshing) as if there were some disortion." .

Hi xerf,

I used a default deformation scale factor which is 1. What I mean is the meshing result apparently has new additional lines ( a winding line some sort and they cross through the meshing elements)or few smaller squares inside each deformned elements.
I checked my meshing before i run the job and they dont have these lines and squares. the lines and square appears in deformation and they are not some bodies overlapping.

Thank you for your input.

Even with a higher defomration scale factor you should see the bodies remain in contact at every point. In areas where contact hasn't been specified then you may see overlap. A possible exception may be due to points on the slave surface passing thru the master (or is it the other way around?). If you see lines then it may be that you have gaps in your mesh or there may be something wrong with your graphics.

corus

Does that happen for a specific type of plot ?

Some graphic cards have a problem with the Contour plots when the Contour Method is set to Texture-mapped (which is the default setting) but work ok if you set the Contour Method to Tessellated.

If this is a graphic card related problem then you might be interested in
ABAQUS Installation and Licensing Guide ->
-> 5.3 Tuning graphics cards

I remember that once I have this problem: Windows automatically updated the graphic card driver...but ABAQUS did not like the new driver and plotted incorrect meshes. Therefore, I had to roll back the driver.

As a further point of explanantion to xerf's comments who has clearly been on too many management courses! Rolling back the driver means in english they went back to the old driver they had before installing a new driver.

You may also want to move the plot around to see if the problem remains with the mesh or changes with each view.

corus

I will create a set for each of the layer. then find out which set of element are those line come from. then work from there,

Hang on to your graphics drivers... in this instance it has *nothing* to do with any of that.

The lines you see are in fact the intersection between elements and the cut cap you are defining. You'll get some interesting effects when the structure is deforming out of plane, whilst the view cut is planar.

Actually, the view cut does not have to be planar. Go into the cut manager, select edit and choose the checkbox next to "follow model deformation"...

I've seen this in Viewer on about three different workstations. I think it's just an anomoly in how the visualisation module renders the screen.

Probably just have to live with it...

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back