Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

adequate method to secure the spare wheel in compartment cargo of aircraft 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

houas

Nov 17, 2016
DZ
good day,
following periodic inspections carried out by the civil aviation authorities on our turbo-propelled aircrafts, remarks were made regarding the good security of the spare wheel installed in the cargo compartment.
my question is what is the proper method adopted by the airlines for the fixing of spare wheel.
some airlines use the method ‘fly-away-kit’.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

straps to restrain 9g fwd crash case. Doesn't the OEM tell you how to do this ? Haven't you asked them (in case there's nothing specific in the manuals, 'cause maybe they consider it "obvious" ?) ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

thanks a lot for your reply rb1957.
I would like to solve the problem totally by an adequate method.
Research via internet has led us to determine that some company fabricate kits called ‘FLY-AWAY-KIT’ . the kit ensure the availability spare wheel and other parts . the spare wheel in kit are secured and don’t move. see the attached picture.
so if you have any information about this kit that shall be appreciable to share it with us.
our company operate aircrfat type DEHAVILAND DHC-8-402.

..............................................................................................
THANKS....

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=89e700c4-d9dd-4c68-817a-ececf3893c1b&file=fly_away_kit.docx
that looks like a very nice kit, combining tires and jacks.

Have you called Bombardier support to see if they offer a similar kit ? (I'd be surprised if they do).

Have you reviewed available STCs to see if there's something there ?

If you want to design your own kit, I'd involve a local engineering firm to help you (your questions are, IMHO, extremely basic and this is not the right forum/media to address them fully).

Something to think about with a spare wheel (assuming it is assembled with the tire), here in the US, that would be considered a pressure vessel and would be Hazardous Material. Again, here in the US it can be done if it is shipped without being inflated, but if it is shipped with it inflated, that's a no-no unless it is marked as HazMat and you are authorized to carry said HazMat.

hello rb1957,
for now, I am looking for shared experiences with airlines, regarding this method or other proposals.
  then I will contact the manufacturer to find via these exchanges of ideas the appropriate method .
may be i will ask you for help in order to design our own kit.
thanks a lot for your reply.
best regards.

if your company has a website, post the name, and street address, but not the email address. I'll find you ...

Houas... Just curious...

The image of the flyaway equipment box did not appear to have a structural door, latches, track-pins, restraint rings, etc.

Is the E-box intended to be placed on a cargo floor or air-cargo pallet... and then be restrained by straps or netting?

Or this an image of a generic box that is adapted [by added rings/fittings, track-studs, etc] to be restrained in aircraft-specific cargo holds?

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Following searches via internet I found a private box that has experience in the manufacture of 'fly-away-kit' for large aircraft.

Following searches via internet I found a private box that has experience in the manufacture of 'fly-away-kit' for large aircraft.I have discussed with them and they intend to make a proposal for a model of the kit suitable for our aircraft.

the E-box is intended to be placed on a cargo floor and then be restrained by straps.

thanks a lot for your reply.
I thank very much everyone who participated, shared their ideas with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back