Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adhesive for Powder Coated Sheet Metal and Polycarbonate Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntress

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2002
US
I am helping on a project where we have some sound vibration issues between a powder coated sheet metal panel and a polycarbonate cover. There is some clearance between the sheet metal and the cover, about .025 max in some areas. I need some advice on an adhesive that will stop the vibration between these two parts but at the same time be inexpensive and fast curing, 10 - 20 minutes. I am doing some testing using RTV 162 right now, which will take almost 48 to cure. The application will be on the production line, so any type of adhesive that needs an enclosed environment would not be in our best interest. Any help with some type of adhesive would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Huntress,

Another option might be some of the new UHB and VHB (Ultra High Bond and Very High Bond) adhesives that are used in a number of construction industries (RV's, etc.). These are a form of tape (without the carrier - so it's really just adhesive on a release liner) that is being used now in many applications in place of rivets (yes, it's that strong). Comes in a number of different thicknesses and can be slit to any number of widthts.

Another option (due to the vibration aspect) is a double-sided foam adhesive tape, though your tolerance of .025" may limit the options. Many of these have very aggressive adhesives as well which should withstand the environment you described and reduce vibration. Tapes are less messy to apply than adhesives too, if that is an issue.

Hope that helps -

I can help you!. We carry a 25 mil. clear or white true Acrylic (double-coated) foam which is what VHB is made of. We can laminate both of your panels in-house on our 60" wide laminator, up to 2" thick of various materials, and send the combined product back to you. I believe the 25 mil. is 44" wide logs, which you can hand laminate, etc. Do you still need some help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back