Advice Please: New design project thats painfully dull 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroNucDef

Aerospace
May 29, 2009
GB
Hi all,

Is there any easy way to tell your manager that you find the design project you are working on extremely mind numbingly boring and you want off the project asap.

I started a new project two weeks ago and the task I have been given has sucked most of my creativity out of me. All my enthusiasm has gone for this project, and I feel very tired and drained all day. And it's giving me migraines.
Most of the time I very upbeat and positive, enjoy going to work, love engineering, and can't wait to solve a problem. But this project, which is scheduled to last about two years has me worried that it will have a lasting negative effect on me, for instance it will probably make me leave engineering.

Because the project is only two weeks old, I'm hoping that my manager won't be to angry if I ask for reassignment.

Sorry for moaning about my work.

Yours

AeroNucDef

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the project is easy and the process is boring, make a better process with the free time from the easy project.

I rigged a setup to stupid proof our material takeoffs, estimates, and quotes (sales driven contract work, lots of quotes. Luckily what we provide is pretty standard on paper)... allowed me a lot more time to work on stuff that I like doing and the company likes billing for, all at the cost of a computer literate high school-graduate to fill out a form, pop some data into an excel spreadsheet and write a few sentences.

My goal has always been to engineer myself out of a job one day.

THETICK

I liked that quote so much I looked it up. It appears to have come from Scott Adams instead of Douglas Adams.

AeroNucDef
We can't really answer the question without knowing you or your boss or your company. It really all depends on those personalities. The best advice is to train someone else on the software or hire a contractor that enjoys that kind of work. Present it in the companies terms. Which project would you provide the most value to them on? You are right that it is better to talk to you boss now instead of latter. However, don't ignore the cynics.

There is no reason to let one assignment ruin your life, especially when you can change employers. Isn't there more to you life than work?

To get to the gist of the matter, this feeling seems to be what causes people to divorce / have affairs so often. This is boring, I'm not feeling special any more, I want something different. I am special, my mother always told me that I was. It's all about me, and my needs!

"You want excitement? Here you go, try making mortgage payments without a job. That should be interesting and challenging. Have a nice day!"

You wanted a direct, honest answer didn't you? If not, stop right here.
I've been an engineer for over 35 years. I've had ALL kinds of jobs. Too many different types to try to list here. Some were fun, some were stressful, some were rushed, some were slow, some were high tech, some were VERY old school, some were complex, some were gut-level simple, some were beyond my ability, some were repetitive, some were in a quiet environment, some weren't, some involved travel, some didn't. But one thing that NONE of them were was boring. None of them. Zip. Nada. Wonder why? You think it was the characteristics of the job itself? I doubt it. In fact, the only common thread among all of them was my attitude. If a job is simple enough, or not demanding enough, that it leaves me free time to learn other stuff, I learn other stuff. That's how I learned to write computer programs that have saved me countless hours over the years. That's how I learned to create my own custom AutoCAD commands. That's how I learned the advanced features of Excel, Word, MS Project, Solidworks, and many others. All of which made me the "go-to" guy for all those questions wherever I worked. That's how I eventually got my PE license.

If you are bored, its not your boss's fault. Its not his job to keep you focused, or entertained, or challenged. It's your fault. If they didn't need the job done, they wouldn't need you. Your job is not to just "complete the task". You job is to do it in such a way that you add value to the whole process. Find a way to do it better, faster, with more reliable results, with less need to do it again in the future, or some other improvement over the minumum essential effort. If you dif deep enough you will fimd something down there to get fascinated about. Something that will consume your mind on the drive home. Something you will think about as you go to sleep. Some problem is down there waiting to be solved. Dig for it, find it, and solve it.

And no offense meant - but after 17 years, I would have expected a more mature attitude. Maybe that might be the reason you are assigned the menial tasks. I've known people like that, but that's a whole different topic.

All this is given with the intent to help, not insult or offend. Please take it that way.

Good job, JBoggs.

Re-reading the OP, I can't help but toss in two quotes from former bosses of mine when I was young:

Upon hearing me beef about a boring, repetitive, nuisance-type project:
"If work was enjoyable, I wouldn't have to pay you."

Upon hearing me beef about a really complex project with a short time frame and no help:
"If it were easy, I'd hire little kids to do it."

Those two messages have stuck with me my whole career. If it's boring, I dig in and learn from it. If it's too challenging, I dig in and do my best. It's a rare day that I complain about a paying gig (but it still happens occasionally).

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Well stated JBoggs, I really didn't have anything to say to the thread but I had to give you a star and props after that. Attitude is everything!

You could always start your own engineering company where all the jobs you ever do are fantastically interesting and pay well.

:)

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

AeroNucDef,

I am compassionate with respect to your plight. I, too, have had the occasional "Awww, crap, really?" type of assignment thrown my way. In my case, it's often when they need someone to actually run a project (something I am good at but I despise doing).

You mentioned that you are used to doing engaging, interesting assignments:

"I am used to working on quite advanced engineering projects, mainly SC jobs,..."

Maybe this is simply a matter of, this time, you drew a bad hand. So now, in poker terms, you can play and bluff, or fold and wait for the next hand. The guys (and ladies) who can do both, when required, invariably win more poker tournaments.

In your case, I would take a different approach: I would ask for a second, hopefully more interesting assignment *in addition* to the first one. Then, inevitably, you would find yourself (or convince them that you have found yourself) stretched too thin, forcing them to give you an assistant. Then bring the assistant up to speed to offload you from direct involvement on the dull assignment while you attend to the interesting one. Then, people see you as taking on more challenges, they see you doing an effective job mentoring less experienced staff, you do well in the assignment of your choosing, your assistant develops under your mentorship, and everyone wins.

I didn't see anyone mention this specifically although SNORGY hinted at it:

Find or ask for a second project to work on in addition to the first. Even on the most interesting projects I can get stuck in a bit of a rut if I work on it nonstop. If I go work on something else for a bit I feel refreshed and ready to tackle the first project again. This works especially well for "dull" projects. I don't know the details so maybe you don't have time for a second project or the logistics don't work for you to have a second project but find something else to take your mind off the dull project. If it's going to last for 2 years, you will need it anyways.

Also, ask your boss for some advice on how to handle the project. Make some hints that it's not what you expected, how would they handle it, tips, etc. Take responsibility for the project but at the same time let them know what's going on. Don't be disrespectful or confrontational when dealing with it.

Or find a new job.

So I am curious how this turned out. He said he was going to go ahead and ask for a different project or transfer or whatever and we haven't heard the result... perhaps packing and looking for a new employer? :p hope it worked out well for you though with whichever path you took.

If you are very curious about it, you could probably replicate the same situation with your wife. I'd recommend wearing a cup as you will probably not get a Klondike bar as a reward.

beej67 (Civil/Environmental) said:
27 Jun 12 7:49
You could always start your own engineering company where all the jobs you ever do are fantastically interesting and pay well.

Nope. He'll end up leaving engineering. Stick with the regular paying day job.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

Sorry to have to say this but i think this thread demonstrates why a lot of people consider engineers to be butt holes.

A little more human would be nice.

2dye4 - I'm confused. Is it the OP's complaint or the responses that you think are less human?

And what exactly does "A little more human would be nice." mean, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back