Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aerospace materials 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

loosh

Materials
Mar 20, 2003
RO
Hi,
Can you indicate me a refference book that comprises AMS materials with suggested heat treatments for every material?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AMS standards are maintained by SAE International. There is no single book that references every AMS standard and the appropriate heat treatment. You can obtain more information on the various AMS standards and any collections of standards available as a book from SAE using the following link:

You can look up the OLD standards for many materials on the military website: .
How much the standards have changed since SAE took over the maintenance of the standards, I can't say. I can say that SAE charges an arm and a leg for these standards, while they are available on the DOD website for free.

STF

MIL-HDBK-5 is an excellent source of Heat Treat availabilities for all types of Metalic Materials.
It references the Materials Specification, but doesn't actually give the Spec.

Hiya Loosh

I don't think you will get a book showing all heat treatments for materials.

If you require some very good information on all manner of heat treatments, contact The Contract Heat Treatment Association on Tel 0044 (0)121 359 3611 EXT 5212, or visit their website on
There is also a lovely bloke named Derek Close at the Wolfson Heat Treatment Centre, Aston University, Birmingham, who will help you with all the questions you may have and point you in the right direction. You can speak to him on the number above or e-mail him on whtc@aston.ac.uk

And if you want specific information on Aerospace Heat Treatments, contact The TTI group on 0044 (0) 121 553 1971 or 0044 (0)121 557 1878. There is a lovely chap called Graham Nicklin there who will also assist you. They usually have copies of relevant specs for treatment of aerospace gear.

Hope helps, but if you do compile a book of all the relevant heat treatments, please let me know and I will spend good, hard earned wedge on a copy!

Happy Trails,

Jeannie

For a quick and naturally brief reference of materials there is SAE AMS INDEX published every six months meaning it can’t be so expensive.

It gives AMS designation, principal composition, type of semi-fabricate and type of heat treatment-condition of supply (for metal alloys). For metals it specifies a UNS No, a commercial-trade name of alloy and a similar specification if exists (MIL, FED, ASTM, AWS etc.). It also enables inverse search, i.e. if trade name is known it is easy to find AMS No.

Here are a few examples of the Index entries:

4278 Aluminum Alloy, Alclad Sheet 5.6Zn 2.5Mg 1.6Cu 0.23Cr (Alclad 7075-0) Annealed, Fine Grained UNS #: A87075 Alloy: Alclad 7075-0 ASTM B 209

5508 Steel, Corrosion and Heat Resistant, Sheet, Strip and Plate, 13Cr 2.0Ni 3W Annealed UNS #: S41800 Alloy: Greek Ascoloy

5853 Steel, Corrosion and Heat Resistant, Bars and Wire 15Cr 25.5Ni 1.2Mo 2.1Ti 0.006B 0.30V, Consumable Electrode Melted 1800°F (982°C) Solution Treated and Work-Strengthened 160 ksi (1103 Mpa) Tensile Strength K66286 A286

This is not answering the thread primary question but I find the Index very useful for a basic material-alloy information to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back