Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(!) after my part number

Status
Not open for further replies.

rep001

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2006
US
My part number in the windows border shows as: xxxxx.prt (!)
I know there is a problem but I dont know why or what it is.
NX-4, Win XP, standard part with imported file.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Doesn't mean there is a problem, the (!) means the file has been changed or is out of date.

Has been discussed a few times in the past on here. Use the Google search option please.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Perhaps, but if there are any WAVE links between components in an assembly and the parent files have not been fully opened, yet there have been changes since the last time it was opened, this could cause the 'bang' (!) to appear. Check to see if you have Partial Loading toggled ON or Load Interpart Data toggled OFF.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

Well! While you're starting out to learn about wave linking and what settings make things work. I think that somebody probably ought to mention that with big assemblies changing your settings to automatically update every time you open files isn't always the best idea.

If you have a Wave license then your ought to be able to freeze and unfreeze components for updates, as is standard practice in many organizations.
Try Assemblies>Wave>Associativity manager. To see if you have that license available to you. If you do then the operation is straightforward, and the help via F1 good enough to get you started.

Otherwise like most people you would simply use some discretion in how you apply the settings. If you normally run with partial loading on as then going to the component in the ANT and selecting open component fully will allow you to update for external change, under Tools>Update>....
At other times when working in small assemblies of your own working files then if you go into load options and adjust the settings that John mentioned above "Partial Loading" toggled OFF or "Load Interpart Data" toggled ON, then unless you have "Delay interpart" ticked on under the Tools>Update menu the system will keep the linked geometry up to date based on whatever parts you have currently loaded. My point in writing this is just to say that when loading large assemblies some or all of the opposite settings may be appropriate unless you really want to update all the loaded parts which depending on the assembly could take some time.

Another thing to consider when updating drawings is whether you're using the system as intended such that released parts are not inadvertently changed by updating from later versions of linked files. Hopefully your system is set up in such a way as to take care of these sorts of things. Being unaware of how things work could otherwise lead you by changing the settings to contradict your company's site standards.

Lastly if you have just upgraded to NX-4 you may find that going from one version of the software to the next that upon first subsequent opening of the files there is an underlying change from NX-3 (or earlier), to NX-4 which tends to render things out of date in the system even though the geometry is untouched. I say "may" because it caused us some concern in earlier versions but I'm not really seeing many problems in the few bits of NX-4 that we're doing thus far.

Hoping this helps

Regards

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back