Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Against a Separate Structural Engineering License in Florida or Anywhere Else 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

gendna2

Civil/Environmental
Jun 15, 2013
MR
Hello all,

I would like to bring your attention a move by the Florida Structural Engineer's Association to make a separate Structural Engineer license (SE) from the current Professional Engineer (PE) license that a civil engineer now must have to design structures. Here is a link to the Structure magazine where you can read more on page 21.
I disagree with this move by the FSEA because it is part of a pattern to push more regulation onto businesses in the name of “safety.” Currently, a PE has an 8 hour exam, on top of another 8 hour fundamentals of engineering exam, on top of 4 years of experience. A PE is required to only practice in areas where he is competent, just because you have a PE license doesn’t mean you design structures if your knowledge is in waste water. An SE license is a 16 hour exam, and most SEs will take that on top of their PE license. Where does it end?

I think the truth is that structural engineers pushing for this are looking at their bottom line. To me, this nation wide push for a 16 hour exam, in the nation where the Golden Gate Bridge, Empire State Building, and Hoover Dam were designed without such an onerous requirement, is guildism. Not only that, but it sets a bad precedent. Pretty soon, we’ll see a push for a separate geotechnical license, after all, foundations are important too and people can die if they fail; a separate license for mechanical engineers designing hospital HVAC, after all, people can get really sick when the HVAC is malfunctioning and they can die.

While we're at it, let's just dismember civil engineering as profession and have a separate license for all our niches. As long as we can have the word "death", "catastrophe", or any fear words, I'm sure we'll have a license for it.

Finally, for all the talk of STEM education in our society, how do we promote civil engineering to young people by saying “well, you see, you take an 8 hour exam, then wait 4 years, then another 8 hour exam…but that’s not enough see, you need to then take another 16 hour exam…oh, and you have to fill out lots of paperwork and documentation too.”

If you want to end the madness, find a Florida legislator and let them know your thoughts.
I doubt the FSEA or the "experts" are going to change their minds; they've made them up a long time ago and are pushing this on all 4 cylinders because it'll mean more money for a few at the expense of the many. Make sure you mention that businesses and governments will incur greater costs overpaying overqualified engineers and that will kill jobs.

Don't believe me, just look at the "great" state of Illinois, one of the most business unfriendly states, where, (suprise, suprise), you cannot even design a 3 story building, 20 foot bridge, any structure without an SE license. Manufacturers in Illinois felt too warm and fuzzy about the safety of their structures, so they've been moving them across the border to Indiana, Kentucky, Wisconsin...any place but the land of Lincoln.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Woodman: Finding and disciplining someone without a license would be much easier than finding someone practicing outside of their competency. In addition, I would suspect/hope that as people got used to such a license requirement more people would know that an SE was required for some buildings and thus would know if something was up when they received drawings without an SE stamp.

But, as you point out, this is not an ideal fix and I agree. I would definitely rather have PE boards with more teeth than a SE license.

As for passing the exam by just taking a class or two; I can safely say that you are not going to pass the SE exam without at least some idea of how structural design is done. It's just not possible. I would bet good money that nobody could ever "fudge" their way through the 16-hour SE exam.

Spats: Good points. I agree, experience does matter, and for that you get grandfathered in (hopefully). Anyone new entering the field (like me) should be seriously considering the SE, even in non-SE states (like me) as we're the ones who will be required to have the license without any vast amount of experience to prove our competency. It's the same reason why we have reciprocity for individuals who have many years engineering experience but have not taken a modern PE exam. Experience does count for something still. I would also say that regardless you're quite right, but exams are the best way I know of to prove competency and we all know that people can be experienced without competency.

I agree that we can't stop people operating outside of their competency, but this seems the best fix in my mind. You make a very valid point that you can't fix stupid but you can at least make it easier to spot. Someone operating without an SE license is easier for a state board to catch and prove than competency. Plus, I think most of these hypothetical engineers aren't malicious, merely ignorant (or lazy). Ideally, an SE requirement would at least get them to notice what they don't know and hopefully provide their own revised measure of competency.

As for your replies to me I apologize; I misunderstood.

I would say that the exam is 70% very typical structural design elements that every structural engineer should know or be familiar with, and 20-30% stuff that engineers typically don't deal with (like seismic for non-seismic areas, wood or masonry for people who don't use them much, pre/post-stressed concrete, or bridge design). However, none of it is useless and I feel it is all stuff that structural engineers should want to be familiar with. Overall I felt that the exam was mostly representative of typical day-to-day design work but it's not perfect. Also, they give you little to no time to finish questions so a good portion of the difficulty does come from the time limits. This does help prove competency but is a somewhat dirty trick and cost me a passing score first time I took the vertical day.

Maine EIT, Civil/Structural.

TehMightyEngineer

"As for passing the exam by just taking a class or two; I can safely say that you are not going to pass the SE exam without at least some idea of how structural design is done. It's just not possible. I would bet good money that nobody could ever "fudge" their way through the 16-hour SE exam."

When you miss the point you sure miss it.
I am talking about the light weights who got their BS in engineering (the same ones who are now operating outside of their expertise) and now all they have to do is pass a test to continue.
I am sorry but anyone who gets a BS in engineering should be able to study up to pass just one test. And passing the test will not mean they won't operate outside of their expertise.

Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

Woodman: I got your point that it is only one exam meaning that it's only one more step, however it is a huge step. As I said before I can all but guarantee one cannot be less than minimally competent in structural engineering yet pass the SE exam. Sure, someone could study for a year or two and get enough knowledge to pass the SE exam, but at that point they should be at least minimally competent anyway.

Have you actually taken the SE exam? It's not something you can just "pass".

woodman88 said:
And passing the test will not mean they won't operate outside of their expertise.

Of course, but at least now they should have an idea of what their limits are or at least know what they must study to gain expertise. Sure, someone who maliciously is practicing outside of their experience will not be stopped by this but it should make it harder for them to get away with it.

Maine EIT, Civil/Structural.

TehMightyEngineer said:
Have you actually taken the SE exam?

Nope. I got my California Civil with a eight hour national test (that I passed doing mostly structural and hydraulics/water treatment) and a two hour Seismic plus a two hour Surveying tests.

As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

Not much. You just study and pass them. But understand that it has been a long time since I took them.
I do not think they have improved engineering in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back