Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Air pressure vessel safety valve sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guideon

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2006
IL
Hi everyone,

I have to determine the size of safety valve for an air pressure vessel. I found in ASME and BS 5500 a procedure to calculate the size of safety valve, which relates the mass flow capacity to the: pressure, temprature, discharge area, s.v coefficient, and air parameters. This can be helpfull if the flow capacity is known, so you can get the discharge area (valve size). But if the flow capacity is unknown (such in case manufacturing perss. vessels without compression units).
The next question is there any relation between the discharge capacity of the s.v to the compression unit flow capacity? I suppose yes, but is it equal/higher? how much?

Thank you,
Guideon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To size an ASME/NB pressure relief valve for an air tank, the PRVmust have a set pressure not exceeding the MAWP of the air tank and have a relieving capacity not less that the free air delivery of the compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back