Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Aircraft magnetization after lightning strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

onemike

Aerospace
Dec 14, 2005
CA
Does anyone knows what will be an acceptable level of magnetization (how many Gauss) for aircraft/ aircraft components (landing gear, etc) magnetization after a lightning strike occurrence (plane hit by a lightning strike)? I am looking specifically for Bombardier's CRJ705, but any other material/reference for other manufacturer, probably will help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The ifo you are looking for is not in the CRJ700 AMM, but is in the CRJ200 AMM..........try TASK 20?10?01?910?801
Demagnetization of the Aircraft Components and/or Structures.

Basically it should be under 10 Gauss....

Thank you TZ350 for your reply. I'll sure look into it. What I've learned from different sources/some FSRs (field service reps. from few aircraft manufacturers)is that there is no fixed value for the magnetization (gauss); some of them recommends 4-5 gauss for MLG/NLG as acceptable. But... coulkd not lead me to a written document/ref.

DOD-STD-1399-070 requires that all military equipment operate in a DC magnetic of 20 Oersteds

and

MIL-HDBK-2036 para 5.1.2.1 requires that military aircraft equipment be able to operate to full specifications in a 20 Oersted DC magnetic field, with a minimum requirement of being able to operate in a 10 Oersted field

Both can be downloaded from:
TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back