Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aircraft repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeguyME

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2005
US
Where can I find information on repairing cracks in airplanes(commercial and other large planes as well as military planes)? I need information on the different crack repair methods available and which techniques are best to use under which scenarios...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FAA AC43.13

Wes C.
------------------------------
There are no engineers in the hottest parts of hell, because the existence of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally competent engineer would immediately use this to run a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is obviously impossible.

SomeguyME,

Be aware that the repairs shown in the FAA AC 43.13 are based upon static material capabilities only and DO NOT take into considerations fatigue and crack propagations involved on pressurized aircraft.

Do you know where I can find other repair methods COLIBRI? Fatigue and crack propagation repair techniques would be perfect for what I am looking for...

And I am sorry if this may be a dumb question but where can I find the document FAA AC43.13? Can i view it online? Or can someone give me a link?

Thanks again

You are not likely to find generic aircraft repair info on the web. The best source of information will be the Structural Repair Manual for the aircraft.

What aircraft/part are you trying to repair? Is this primary or secondary structure? Do you have the SRM?

Or is this related to some sort of school assignment?

SWComposits & FieldTeam have it right. The SRM for the Aircraft will be your best source.

Wes C.
------------------------------
There are no engineers in the hottest parts of hell, because the existence of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally competent engineer would immediately use this to run a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is obviously impossible.

Just a note of caution. The SRM repair can generally be used to repair cracked structure so long as it is not one of the critical PSE items listed in the Airworthiness Limitations Section of the AMM. If the crack is in one of these critical areas, it must get FAA approval. Because of this, there are generally no standard repairs for cracks in these critical loctions. Also, make sure the SRM is damage tolerant compliant. This is generally true for all of the latest certified aircraft but not necessarily so for old aircraft. Always check the cert basis of the aircraft first. You can do this on the FAA website but looking at the TCDS database.

Good luck

James

TRO 22 is an old military manual it addresses static strength only really. There is a US equivalent but I do not remember the title off hand. I got a copy from a coworker.

What are you repairing? I guess that is the biggest question. SRM's are Approved data in the country of certification and can be used fairly liberally depending on what you need to fix. This varie by Regulatory agency. They are inclusive, so if the SRM does not say "do not use this repair here", typically it is acceptable to use it. The cavaet being that it is the judgement of the Engineer and the local Regulatory type.

Most commercial aircraft have had damage tolerance retroactively applied to them. Again depending on what you are doing, the actual repair may not be the issue, it will be the paper to support it.

For military aircraft, bonded composite repairs have been used widely to repair fatigue cracks. A good overview of examples and methods can be found in the books by Baker and Jones, “ADVANCES IN THE BONDED COMPOSITE REPAIR OF METALLIC AIRCRAFT STRUCTURE” Both the Australian Air Force (RAAF) and USAF (USAFA/CAStLE, AFRL/ML, and Warner Robins AFB) have experience using these techniques.

The current edition of the SRM from your aircraft manufacturer has priority over any other manual you may come across. However, you may use these others for knowledge purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back