Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aircraft Systems Websites 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislewis

Aug 15, 2000
GB
I am interested in learning about Aircraft systems but electrical and mechanical. Can anyone tell me about any websites that have details about the basics of aircraft systems. These do not have to be specific to an aircrat just contain the makeup of basic systems and the components that they comprise off. After many hours of searching i have managed only to find pages of companies willing to sell components which is not what i require.<br><br>Thanks in advance for any help.<br>Chris Lewis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am surprised that no one has responded yet. Your question is important and interesting. I would like to learn about this as well. Does anyone have any helpful information? Thank you in advance. Bill B. [sig]<p>William H. Bernhart, P.E.<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>I work as a development engineer for AMP - Tyco Electronics located near Harrisburg, PA. I help design interconnections and electrical connectors for aerospace applications.[/sig]

Unfortunately I do not know of specific web pages that would help you, although Experimental Aircraft association does carry some information on systems for light aircraft. Good books in the field are however available, try the following;-

Aircraft Systems (I beleive the publisher is one of McGraw-Hills divisions)
Aircraft Flight Control Systems (SAE)
The Jet Engine (Rolls Royce)
Pratt & Whitney have a similar book
Most of these books are available from the internet. Sorry couldn't help further.
[sig][/sig]

Chris and Jobeth,
The fields that you are interested in are very wide, but some basic components come to mind. Good schematics of time proven systems, such as a Lear Jet's, might be obtained by calling or writing SimuFlite Training at DFW or FlightSafety Tucson or Wichita. They may provide some help.
If I may be of help, please contact me.

Unfortunately, I have to agree that there does not seem to be any Web sites out there that deal with aircraft systems as a topic.

To add to what warburton1 posted, a little more information on some books on the subject:

The Jet Engine (Rolls-Royce) ISBN 0 902121 2 35
As the title suggests, this book deals exclusively with powerplant structures &amp; systems. Very informative about what it covers though.

Aircraft Structures and Systems (R. Wilkinson / Longman) ISBN 0 582 23656 8
VERY basic introduction to the subject, though useful if you're just starting out.

Aircraft Systems (I. Moir / Longman) ISBN 0 582 07223 9
Gives a good feel for what the a/c systems are used for and why the various types are chosen.

Aircraft Electrical Systems (E. Pallet / Longman) ISBN 007 155 2650
Not one I've read, but recommended by a licenced engineer.

With the possible exception of the last book none of the above are particularly technical (i.e. maths-based), dealing instead descriptively with what the various systems do and some basic design requirements.

Hope this helps

Thank you all!!!!!!!!

William H. Bernhart, P.E.

I work as a development engineer for AMP - Tyco Electronics located near Harrisburg, PA. I help design interconnections and electrical connectors for aerospace applications.

Chris,

Here is a link that may be helpfull.

Both sites have good basic training material. As far as Mechanical systems go try locating a maintance manual of text books for A&P certs. That may be helpful.

I work as a flight control designer for Adam Aircraft Industries. And I agree there are not very many educational materials for aircraft mechanical systems.

A couple of other good sorces are:

I try to look for good stuff when I get a chance. Good luck, if you find some more links let me know.

Mike FLYING IN THE FACE OF THE STATUS QUO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back