Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Airflow in a long, cylindrical, perforated pipe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfinch

Chemical
Jan 12, 2012
Hello -

First time poster, several time referencer.

My question:
I have air coming off a 3hp regenerative blower at 0.433psig(12 in H2Og) on the outlet of the blower. Flowrate = 300cfm.

This flows through a 6" pipe with 3 90's, then forks into 2 L=50' ID=4" cylindrical segments.

The purpose: provide evenly distributed airflow for a composting operation.

The question: what size hole (probably need to assume), # of holes, and distribution of holes needed to ideally achieve Q = uniform through each airhole.

What has been observed in the field: the purpose of the air is to cool the self-heating pile. With evenly longitudinally-spaced 2" holes the end nearest the blower has lower temps than the end further away. Makes sense.

My thought: have larger spacing between the air holes nearer the blower, tighter spacing further away.

I don't have any CFD resources, which make my life alot easier. I could do it experimentally, but if there is a convenient approximation.. well that's why I'm posting.

Sorry for the long post.

CN:
How do you calculate air flow distribution through holes spaced long-ways on the cylindrical pipe fed by a small regenerative blower such that volumetric airflow is approximately equal through each hole.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please do post your results once you have made the modifications. Linking actual results to advice given greatly adds to the value of these threads.

Katmar Software - Engineering & Risk Analysis Software

"An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back