Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AISC ASD AND IS LSD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BASE PRESSURE

Structural
May 12, 2024
IN
What if I have design a PEB structure using AISC-ASD and for design of Connection I am using IS-LSD with a safety factor applied to loads extracted from analysis i.e. If AISC-ASD has given me Bending moment of 250kN/sq.m then that will be 250x1.5= 375kN/sq.m for design of connections using IS-LSD.
Is it acceptable ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ideally, you would be using a totally different set of load combinations to determine your connection forces when you have a situation like this.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're using an AISC / US code for the design of the structure itself, but an INDIAN code for the design of the connections? That seems VERY unusual to me. If we were talking about Eurocode + Indian, that wouldn't be such an odd jump as the Eurocode (I believe) is the basis for the latest Indian code.

Also, what YEAR code are you using for AISC? If the building is designed with ASD 9th edition (i.e. 1989 - released 35 years ago) that is very different than if the building is designed with AISC 16th edition (2022).

Code I am using is an "AISC ASD -Specification for Structural Steel Buildings. Allowable Stress Design and Plastic Design (1989, 9th Edition)"
yes I am using an AISC / US code for the design of the structure itself, but an INDIAN code for the design of the connections.
Definitely it is not recommended, but is it safe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back