Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AISC Connections Manual 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagman2524

Structural
Jul 14, 2005
US
I have the 1992 version of the Manual of Steel Construction Volumne II Connections ASD 9th ed/LRFD 1st ed. I've seen reference to a 1997 version. Are there are later versions of this manual? Was it absorbed into the 13th edition of the Steel Construction Manual?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There was a Volume II of the Silver LRFD manual involving Connections and it was morphed into the single volume 13th Edition (LRFD/ASD Black manual).

Wow, this one something I was curious about too.

So the new Steel Manual 13th edition (LRFD/ASD Black Manual) incorporated the follwoing three:
1. ASD 9th Edition (Green Manual)
2. Load and Resistance Factor Design, Third Edition (Blue Manual)
3. Volume II Connections of the Silver LRFD 2nd Edition

What happened to all the information in the Load and Resistance Factor Design, Volume II Connections? The information in this manual is about half the size of the new manual.

The green/blue connections manual is basically the same as the Volume II silver LRFD connections manual, which is basically the same as what's on the CD that comes with the 13th manual. The 13th manual and CD also include the black HSS connections manual.

AISC LRFD 1st Edition (1986) plus Volume II Connections ASD/LRFD

AISC ASD 9th Edition (1989) plus Volume II Connections ASD/LRFD

AISC LRFD 2nd Edition (1998) Volume I and Volume II Connections

AISC LRFD 3rd Edition (2001) Combines the two in a single manual

AISC 13th Edition (2005) Combines the two in a single manual

Before the release of the 13th Edition, engineers selected either an ASD 9th Edition or the code adopted version of the LRFD Manuals and the corresponding Connections Manual for the design of their steel structures. The 13th Edition includes both ASD/LRFD and Volumes I/II. In addition, the Specification in the 13th Edition includes Chapter K which is an updated version of the 1997 HSS Connections Manual and the 2000 HSS Specification.

The 13th edition also shifted the design examples to an accompanying cd rom. Those design examples on cd, when printed out, are comparable to another volume.

-Mark

gman,

No, The 9th edition manual is based on completely different code revisions. For the ASD, bending and axial load calculation as well as bolt capacities are all completely different. Most other stresses are similar though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back