Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AISI 4615 and "cast ductile Iron"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racecardriver16

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2010
US
I am trying to do a quick analysis of an part I am trying to do a simulation on. having trouble finding definitive mechanical properties of AISI 4615. Anybody have any personal experience? I can do some estimating but since I know it is a case hardened steel I was curious of any particularities since I had not worked with either of these materials in a simulation environment before. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The properties will depend on the exact heat treatment process used. Case carburizing followed by oil quenching and low temperature tempering is the general process, but austenitizing temperature, boost and diffusion profile, and tempering temperature all affect the final properties. Case hardness will probably be in the range of 56-62 HRC, with core hardness of 25-40 HRC. You can convert hardness to estimated tensile strength using online conversion tables derived from ASTM E140 and/or SAE J419. Yield strength will be ~ 90% of tensile strength.

Thanks for the info! The reference to ductile cast iron is that is the other material I am dealing with. From my experience parts made from it vary great in strength. Are there are rough numbers to plug in for a first pass for modulus/yield strength?

I tend to generally deal with a very narrow range of materials, and anything outside those are usually for aesthetic purposes so mechanical material properties are usually not of concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back