Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alaskan Yellow Cedar NDS Values 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msquared48

Structural
Aug 7, 2007
US
Anyone know if the category of "Alaska Cedar" on page 47 of the 2015 NDS Supplement is applicable to "Alaskan Yellow Cedar"?

If not, where can I find the allowable design values for Alaskan Yellow Cedar?

Thanks in advance for any input, and have a good week!

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mike:
I’ll bet that Alaskan Yellow Cedar and Alaskan Cedar are the same thing. The USDA Forest Products Lab “Wood Handbook, #72” says that Alaskan Cedar’s heartwood is a bright, clear yellow. I found this in the first part of the book, under Commercial Species in the US. But, given the way the grading rules have changed over the recent years, and the availability and generally poorer quality of lumber they are cutting these days, I’d ask a few local lumber suppliers what they are actually furnishing, and can they get you the stress grading sheets on that material. Or, furnish you the saw mills material name and grade class, etc., their material spec. sheets. What the big box stores are carrying and selling can hardly be classified as structural lumber these days. We didn’t use to like using that kinda stuff for blocking or stud grade material, let alone as real structural members.

Table 2.1 of the 2015 NDS Supplement does list table 4A for the allowable stresses for Alaskan Yellow Cedar, so dhenger, you were right. [2thumbsup]

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back